Brother HL-1870N picky on paper pickup

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya,

I've got a Brother HL-1870N printer that's picky about picking up paper from its internal tray.

If there's only a few sheets in there (say up to about 30) it'll pick up no problem. Put in a hundred sheets and it won't pick up and claims there's a misfeed.

Any ideas?

It's done about 29000 pages.

Sponsored Links
too much paper then

my printer does similar, not same make as yours

do you have a manual that tells you what the tray capacity should be?If it is meant to take 100 sheets but does not feed then the problem is with the mechanism that presents the paper to the feed rolls( not familiar with that model so cannot be more specific).If it is simply a hinged tray that is spring loaded then removing & stretching the springs should help, unless you can get replacements which should cure the problem.Another problem maybe is if the paper is fouling on the sides of the tray & will not let it rise properly due to the weight of the stack.

other thing i forgot to mention, is paper is not paper, but paper. :confused:

paper comes in different weights, (no really it does) perhaps you have few heavy weight papers and its ok, like wise lots of lightweight paper, \BUT give it a lot of heavy weight and it struggles.

besides what's the problem with adding more paper?

Sponsored Links
Also manufacturers recommend you fan the paper at both ends before putting them into the tray to help seperate them.

Limit/capacity should be 250 sheets of 80gram paper. It doesn't seem to like anything like that much - probably about 100 sheets is its limit. Adding more paper isn't a problem per se, but I was printing out a big document multiple times (print it, edit it, print it again) which meant continually refilling...
Steve

jj4091 said:
do you have a manual that tells you what the tray capacity should be?If it is meant to take 100 sheets but does not feed then the problem is with the mechanism that presents the paper to the feed rolls( not familiar with that model so cannot be more specific).If it is simply a hinged tray that is spring loaded then removing & stretching the springs should help, unless you can get replacements which should cure the problem.Another problem maybe is if the paper is fouling on the sides of the tray & will not let it rise properly due to the weight of the stack.

Back