BROWN SLUDGE COMING OUT OF MY TAP!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Could anyone tell me how I could stop brown sludge coming out of my hot water taps and shower. We have an immersion tank fed via a back boiler. The back boiler was changed about five years ago. I'm not sure how long the immersion tank has been here. The wife ain't best pleased when she's washing her hair and it gets covered in muck!! Please help!!

Sponsored Links
Check your storage tank in the loft or airing cupboard. Could need cleaning.

must have a prymatic cylinder with an airlock seperating boiler and hot water.
If its really s####ted up or have too many radiators (or been connected to a pump ) it will force the boiler water into the hot

Thanks for that.

I can check the stoage tank and I hope that is the answer. What if it is carrying water from the boiler into the hot. Is there any way of clearing it out?

Lofty

Sponsored Links
Coil in your cylinder has gone allowing the dirty water from CH into domestic side of cylinder.
New cylinder req

I've checked the storage tank and there is a slight build up but nothin much. I've also run the taps down stairs and there's nothing horrible coming out there so hopefully it was just a build up of sludge that has just cleared itself. I'll keep an eye on it.

Thanks for all the help. I always think the worst......and most of the time I'm right to do so!!!

Lovely site you guys have here. Hope some time I can help someone.

storage tank as in 1 tank means you have prymatic, sorry primatic cylinder. Problem may only happen with heating on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back