Brown water from Hot & Cold after plumbing alteration

Ed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,

I just installed a new bathroom suite and now every time I turn on the sink taps I get some yellowy-brown water which runs for about a second or two. The pipes also feed the downstairs kitchen taps where I don't see any water discolouration. I have run water through all the taps for a good few minutes after everything was connected.

The only thing I can think that it might be is that I have some flexible hoses/pipes connecting the fixed pipework to the tap assemby which is a mixer. The flexi pipes do have a bend in them (I couldn't get any shorter ones which would connect in more or less a straight line.

Any ideas :?:

Cheers!
Ed.

Sponsored Links
Both taps. But what's strange is, it only runs an odd colour for a couple of seconds, then clears.

Hmmm ! Have you use jointing compound like White Hawk? which would give you that colour.Being silly now,could it be some internal parts going rusty so when you're not flushing a build up of slight rust generate? Rusty spring washer or parts inside the mixer tap?

Sponsored Links
I did use some, what I would call flux around the joints before I soldered the fixed piping. I'm wondering though if it could be the extra long flexible pipes that I have which are doubled over like an 'S' bend. They have a kind of catchment area like a waste trap.

Is this flexible pipes a wire mess type,if so could be faulty.Probably best to take it apart and inspect it.The only thing I can think of if it is a wire mess type that there might be a slight split in the internal lining and water is touching the wire mess for discolour etc.I would find this hard to believe as you would have leaking problem.The only other thing is to have a look at the taps internal parts.Also not sure what you mean when you say "They have a kind of catchment area like a waste trap".Do you know the name of this?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back