bt yahoo

B

breezer

just wondered has any one else got bt yahoo?

i like the spam filter, and also the bulk box

Sponsored Links
Why use BT Yahoo?

If one uses Yahoo! Mail, for free, one gets the Bulk Box thing.

I use Tiscali for Internet Access.

Yeah, BT Yahoo is ok. I used Tiscali a long time ago, but had problems with billing and after sales service.

I use Pipex. I have heard bad things about Tiscali speeds. On all the ISP forums I have seen it gets bad reviews. Of course, people usually only log on to complain!

Pipex had lame customer service two years ago when I signed up, but I haven't required it since and apparently it is quite good now. I have never had my download speeds drop below 50kbyte/s, other than on very slow servers. But that is no fault of Pipex. The service has gone down twice in two years, both times were for an hour or two. It did go down for a whole day once, but that was because my whole BT service went down! No phones at all.

My parents have BT Yahoo also and they get great speeds all the time.

Sponsored Links
Yep, BT Yahpoo. .... No problems ... But watch that over zealous spam filter !!

Get this for a home page http://www.wrx.zen.co.uk/searchuk.htm
Lots of search engines ... get to page bottom and try 'UK press on-line' several local papers and the biggies, perhaps the 'UK directories' , too.

Pretty neat I think ...

P.

What did I say "BT Yahpoo. .... No problems "

Just downloaded ... self installed - no apparent option - BT Dial up manager V.5

Now takes 30 secs to begin the dialling !! following double click of icon.

Oh well !!

P

Might as well set your computer to connect as soon as it boots up. That way you get the full on "always on" benefits, and it gives those nice script-kiddies more time to try and use their downloaded "hacking" tools to attack your computer.

God I hate script-kids. Thinking they are hackers when they don't even write their own code. It would be like me buying a house off the builders, and then proclaiming that "I built this house, yes me, I did it. No-one else, me!" Script-kiddies suck *ss like a dyson in a bottom-cleaning competition. :evil:

"Chill, winston"

Recently caught by a browser hi-jack ... first ever intrusion. Use ZA pro, up to date Virus Checker, adaware v6, 'Hi-Jack this' etc .... and generally safe browsing.

Whilst rummaging around, I found a .exe file, subsequently found to be involved, sitting in the Norton protected rec bin, used Techfacts to debug ... was amazed, this small prog created several small .dll's then deleted them, having created a .chm (help, I believe) file .... I Was thinking of broadband, but I need better protection following that intrusion.
When I saw (maybe just a little) of what one very small prog could do having exploited a M$ vulnerability, it made me think just what might happen if the PC was permanently connected, in combination with the added speed of BB!!
P

I remember a few months back when the latest of the internet worms of the month had just come out. They hooked up a pc running XP to the net with NO firewall, NO router, no nothing. Basically, this pc was riding bareback on the net, so to speak.

If I recall, it was 30 minutes before it got infected with a nasty worm.

Now, that does make you think, "blimey, better get a firewall, there's a lot of it about"... but how does the worm stay in existence? There must be legions of people all running totally inadequate or non-existant protection. Otherwise the program would just die out or at least become less prevalent.

I don't know if broadband would be inherently worse for this per hour of connection time, but there is the added advantage that with no modem in your PC, you remove the possibility of "dialer" programs that dial you into premium rate ISPs without your knowing. It happens!

Ok, Bt-yahoo came through !! ref poor dial up manager Ver.5

Two e-mails, resulted in a little tutorial on preparation for the auto installation of the Ver.5 Dial up manager .... Now works as quickly as the Ver. 4 release.

I imagine the original install prompted by, and automatically carried out by, BT Yah during a surf .... was not quite correct ,thus causing the 30 sec delay from double click on icon to sounds of modem dialling. .. perhaps security set too high ??? Anyway, ok now.

P

Sponsored Links
Back