Bubbling lining paper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm a bit confused (and narked!) as to why my newly hung lining paper is bubbling when I paint over it? The paper is a 1000 weight standard lining paper and has been hung over a skimmed wall which was treated with a diluted solution of wallpaper paste. The wall was skimmed round 3 months ago, the paper hung 48 hours ago. Why am I getting these bubbles?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Are they bubbles or do they look like elongated creases?...vertical creases?...if they do its because you didnt allow the paper to soak enough.

Bubbles...sorry to say this but its probably down to your wallpapering technique...sounds like you odne the right thing by sizing the walls first...it could be down to a lack of paste or a lack of smoothing the paper out enough.

After 48 hours the paper should be well dry and I cant think of anything else that will cause the poblem..

The solution........

take one striping knife...a bucket...some hot water and apply generous amounts of elbow grease.

Next time...let the paper soak for about 7 mins for it to expand fully..and you might find wetting the papering brush handy...or use a wetish medium pile roller sleeve..its great to smoothing the paper out as it applies an even pressure all over, once you have the paper on run it downwards through the middle of the paper first then diagonally downwards and outwards in a herringbone fashion to get the rest of he trapped air out

bashdem said:
Hi all

I'm a bit confused (and narked!) as to why my newly hung lining paper is bubbling when I paint over it? The paper is a 1000 weight standard lining paper and has been hung over a skimmed wall which was treated with a diluted solution of wallpaper paste. The wall was skimmed round 3 months ago, the paper hung 48 hours ago. Why am I getting these bubbles?

Thanks

You might find that as the paint dries that the bubbles will disappear - painted paper will sometimes do that in places.

Sponsored Links
Update....

Ok, when I mentioned the bubbling I had only painted one of the lining sheets - since painting the whole room there were only about 2 or 3 bubbles which have since died down. I didn't think it was my papering skills as I've lined a few walls before and always had good results.

Anyway, 2 coats later and all looks fine (well, only I can noticed the irregularities).

Thanks for the feedback anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back