Bubbling paint

Discussion in 'Decorating and Painting' started by TheLette, 26 Sep 2021.

1. TheLette

TheLette

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi all,

Our kitchen was renovated a few years ago. New waterproof plasterboard put in. In a couple of spots (both above plug sockets, and either side of the sink) the paint has bubbled. See photo.

Every so often I sand it down and repaint. I apply 2 coats of Zinsser Gardz first but that doesn't do the trick. I last repainted about 6 weeks ago. It seems to bubble up in the summer most. The bubbled area also seems to be riding up the wall whenever it reappears.

Any suggestions on how to make it go away for good? I wonder if it's perhaps the void where the plug socket is, maybe moisture or condensation somehow gets in through that?

Selling the house so would love to fix this annoying but (hopefully purely) cosmetic issue! PXL_20210925_100953585.jpg

2. sxturbo

sxturbo

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Was there ever any water ingress there in the past?

Not sure guards is ideal for that, probably want zinsser cover stain or bull's eye or something

3. Sponsored Links
  4. TheLette

TheLette

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    No water ingress historically although the walls were a bit damp before (hence replacing the plasterboard with waterproof stuff).

5. RonnieE

RonnieE

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    What is above the kitchen? Bathroom, ensuite, shower?

A relatively small leak from above could cause that - tracking down the plaster behind the paint.

6. Sponsored Links