Bubbling Vinyl Silk Emulsion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Can anyone please help?!

When painting a second coat of vinyl silk emulsion with a roller I keep getting tiny bubbles appearing, virtually straight after painting. Therefore my newly painted walls looks ****e! :(

I thought this just might be the paint I was using (Dulux) so I tried a different make of paint in a different room (Leyland) and the same thing happens!

It only happens on the second coat, as the finish is shiny and not matt do I need to lightly sand the first coat before applying the second? Or would using a brush rather than a roller help??

I am about to paint my next room, so any suggestions would be greatly received! :)

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
What surface are you emulsioning over ?

i.e new/bare plaster or already painted !

Also, this bubblling you are refering to can be caused by an longterm reaction of using PVA on new/bare plaster years ago etc.

Well,

The walls were already painted when I bought the house with emulsion I think.

What I find annoying is the first coat is always perfect - it's the second coat that bubbles!!

Thanks for your reply.

Could even be an Oil-Based paint that has been applied to the walls that is causing the bubbles.

Me thinks the best thing to do is, leave the first coat to fully dry/cure/harden for 28 days. Then give the walls a slight rub down. Then re-coat.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back