1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Build a wall with different height bricks?

Discussion in 'Building' started by SirGalahad, 1 Sep 2021.

1. SirGalahad

SirGalahad

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have a small retaining wall at the far end of my garden that was partially damaged. It has some old imperial bricks - 225 x 75mm high. It's a single leaf construction about 0.5m high and I would like to bring it up to about 1.5m high.

So I ordered some bricks from Travis Perkins who called back to say they were out of the 75mm bricks but I could use 65mm bricks.

This is my first wall build so would that create a major issue apart from looks?

2. oldbutnotdead

oldbutnotdead

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Not a problem building on top of existing, if you are trying to tooth in it'll be a mess- deep beds & yuk. There are many builders merchants, worth timing round a few
    A few other things to think about. Does this wall back onto a road or public path? What is it retaining? How long is it? Any foundations? A halfbrick wall at 1500 with no buttressing might be a bit prone to falling over....

3. Sponsored Links
  4. stuart45

stuart45

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Single skin wall is too thin.

5. SirGalahad

SirGalahad

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Nope leads to grassland. Sorry my misunderstanding its retaining nothing. The wall is about 8.5m in length. Every 2m there is a double block of bricks.

6. Sponsored Links