1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Builder cut 4.5 off joists due to measurement screw up

Discussion in 'Building' started by LozM, 24 Aug 2021.

1. Dereekoo

Dereekoo

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Interesting to know how they actually did it, circular saw on its side?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Nige F

Nige F

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    2 handed rip saw;)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Sponsored Links
  4. jacko555

jacko555

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Look like an axe was used
    Screenshot_20210828-134301_Chrome.jpg

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. LozM

LozM

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for everyone taking time to reply, I am now in a dilemma as have a confession to make ! The initial post was done after seeing floor for first time and a bit of shock set in and measured the amount of joist that had been cut away and amount left, what I had failed to do was measure the joist centres but did have this picture showing what looked like a full block in between so assumed 450, when back at property the centres were actually 400 - apologies for this. I have now managed to speak to SE and with span of 3.8m the calculations show the remaining joist of 17.5cm (closer to 18cm) is just okay on deflection. Now armed with info from this forum did ask about grading of timber and knots, etc and he said was okay. Looking at cut is not the best but glue has been used. Have walked over the floor and not creaking but appreciate this could happen in time or with proper furniture load. It is a bodge job for sure and one do easily avoided especially as there was a layer of bricks on top of the steel so could so easily rested joists on those and been a brick lower all round. I am not happy with it but now lost the ace of the SE so anything to rectify would be at my cost - torn whether just to bite my lip and live with it especially as the calculations are just okay and unlikely to be anywhere near the loading the calculations are based on - don’t see have a lot of choice as will cost me a lot to put right,

Lawrence

6. Sponsored Links