building a desk - veneered mdf or ply?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just finished designing the look of a fitted desk for our study and I want to use either mdf or ply to make it up but I'm not sure what the differences are - if any? Mdf can be very heavy, I know - is the veneered stuff easy to work with - and easy to get hold of? Is there anywhere that lists what the regular thicknesses and sheet sizes are? I quite like the stripy effect of plywood on the edges but I find it nicks really easily when I cut it. I 'd like to use real wood but am afraid that it will warp etc.

Or is there another alternative I haven't thought of?

It's a pretty simple design - I'd like to use 1 inch + for the sides and top - any thoughts at all much appreciated.

cheers

Sponsored Links
with link to online timber merchant so that answers the question of sizes.

Still, any thoughts on which is best to go with much appreciated! :D

Personally I would go for Veneered Ply as this would give greater strenth. It is more expensive than MDF, but I think It's worth it.

damson said:
I 'd like to use real wood but am afraid that it will warp etc.

Or is there another alternative I haven't thought of?

It's a pretty simple design - I'd like to use 1 inch + for the sides and top - any thoughts at all much appreciated.

cheers

If your desk is anything like mine, contents I mean - not design, then 1" will not be thick enough as it will bow. Have you thought of using kiln dried, planned all round 'strips' of hardwood or even a decent softwood ? You will need to glue the edges on the top and you could use the same size for the legs. Something around 45mm x 100mm should do and would give you a nice effect if you are staining or varnishing.

Sponsored Links
In my experience mdf sags badly even under its own weight - so thicker can mean even more bowed.
ply is ok but is not intended for resisting bend rather it is for rigidity with a framework. the answer could be good old fashioned blockboard which is designed to have dimensional stability as a span.
you can get very good veneered blockboard and its fairly easy to add a strip of wood to the front.

although a nifty thing ive seen done is to face it with angle iron (so the board rests in the L) screwed from below or glued - this actually adds a brace and takes up no knee room - you do have to match the size of the angle iron to the board thickness though. the metal can be polished and laquered to stop it patinating.

Looks like it's veneered ply or blockboard then! Thanks! I should have explained that my design is basically two box shapes (but with drawers etc) with a board on top ( I think it's called a knee hole desk?!?) so it should be reasonably rigid I think and there should only be a 50 cm bit of the desk top without any real support.

I'll let you know how I get on!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back