Building a Porch - facing a wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm adding a small roofed porch to the front of my house - it'll be about wide 1.4m x 1m extending off the front of the house.

The house is pretty old so I'm planning on building an inner single skin block wall and then facing it with local stone. (The wall will only be half height so that a wooded frame can can sit on top with windows on both sides and slate roof on top).

Any tips on construction? I'm thinking 100mm wide block with dpm to first brick height, 30mm cavity and then approx 80mm natural stone facing. Do the bocks and facing need to be bound together with butterfly connectors etc?

PS. what other names do (British style) porches have - google searches just bring up endless American open-with-a-wooden-swing style porches?

Sponsored Links
try and make the cavity between masonry 50mm minimum.

do use wall ties between leaves.

accommodate a 100x100mm timber post in each corner.

try and mimic the existing house roof pitch, soffit overhang and tiles.

don't forget to make provision for rainwater.

Thanks.

Is the cavity best left as a cavity or is there some insulation type (insulation isn't actually important here) material which will provide a better damp proof?

Also, any tips for joining the porch to the house?

a cavity wall has both thermal and damp resisting qualities.

you could install thermabate or similar cavity fill insulation. this will certainly help if you ever wish to heat this space.

as far as i'm aware cavity fill provides mainly acoustic and thermal resistance, though manufacturers claim that their products will not transmit water due to the "wick" effect.

use stainless steel wallstarters as a connection from house to porch.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the connector tip.

Doesn't wicking normally refer to things that DO transfer water.

Panmure said:

Doesn't wicking normally refer to things that DO transfer water.

yes it does.

so, the insulation manufacturers gaurantee their products will NOT transmit water, as i said in the previous post.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back