Building Close To Boundry ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning on having a detachd garage built in my back garden, about to get some plans drawn over the next few weeks.
I want the garage as close as possible to the neighbours fence, How close could a builder get it ? Considering foundations etc.

I want the internal width 11ft anyone any idea how wide the external measurment would be if its built using single brick ?

Sponsored Links
Garage building regulation is difference from extension, you can go right up to the boundary line.
I want the internal width 11ft anyone any idea how wide the external measurment would be if its built using single brick ?
You will need a approx 13' wide to allow for door frame as well. If you go for a precast slabs garage, the minimum width is approx 12'

You will need a approx 13' wide to allow for door frame as well.
I was hoping on a 11ft internal width with a 10ft door and maybe a 12ft Total External Width.

Isn't my rekoning possible ?? ;)

It can be done but the single wall will need a return and a pier.
I have fitted a framework on the edge of the front wall to overcome a width problem.
I was hoping on a 11ft internal width with a 10ft door and maybe a 12ft Total External Width
Yes, it can be done.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replys ;)
Could you just explain a little as to what a "return and a pier" is :confused:

Many Thanks

A single wall need a return to support the wall where the door frame is
no11img8.gif

Also every approx 8ft you will need more pier for more support.

Pier or Pillar
no11img2.gif

masona said:
Garage building regulation is difference from extension, you can go right up to the boundary line.

providing it is constructed substantially of non combustible material.

GlynL said:
Good point, but I hoping Aletank will apply for building permission which will point these thing out.

masona said:
GlynL said:
Good point, but I hoping Aletank will apply for building permission which will point these thing out.
Thanks For them pics Masona :D - Did you get them from a web site ? If so do you have the addy ? ;)

Just gettin some ideas together at the moment for my garage, next few weeks I'll have some proper plans drawn and submitted by a proper Architect, then start gettin some prices from builders with a view to build about May.
So giving myself plenty of time to get exactly what i want :D

Just looking at the Garage Doors from Wickes - They have 10ft ones for order.
With their Retractable doors, which a 10ft one has to be, a minimum of a 70x70mm wooden frame is needed attached to the brick for fitting.

So that would be - 10ft for the door, 70mm frame either side, then your corner posts
no11img8.gif

Works out about, internal wall to wall ignoring the pillars 11"2 and a external width of 11"10

Thanks for all the replies, Given me abit more idea now ;)

Did you know you can have garage door cut down to whatever size you want ? I know Jewson's do this service.

I've had my plans drawn etc, I've decided to have my garage 150mm(6inch) from the border/garden fence. This allows 4 inch for the gutter overhang and 2inch surplus.
The 150mm gap, I'm having a 150mm granular fill border,300mm deep.

As for the garage door, i'm having the posts a brick and a half (275mm). When getting prices from builders, I'm goin to ask them to leave the door off. Then I'll get a made to measure door from a company that supplies and fits, will be about 9"6. The builder would probably only do that but put a couple of hundred pound on for himself - lol

As originally posted, i wanted it 11" internal width, So the external will be 11"10 (3.6m)

Had my garage built recently, 9" turbo blocks.

I can highly recommend a roller shutter door, I opted for remote control. This company in the Midlands will come out to measure it and within two weeks, come and fit it ! Superb !

image_1.gif

They fit inside the frame so you lose none of the opening, and you can park right up to them.

mine was 5m wide, and 6'6" high, supplied and fitted for about £1600

http://www.rolflex.co.uk/index.php

Thanks For That PS
As I say I'm looking at about a 9"6 door, Wickes do 10ft for £600 + about £300 to make it Electric So I was looking at about £900 for a door, less than a £1000 anyway.
With yours bein 5m for £1600, I'd only want 3m ish wide so that will be worth lookking into ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back