Building Regs - Notice Before work Commences

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to have a Detached Garage built, I was under the impression that you have to give 5 days notice before starting work, I'm sure i read it somewhere :confused: But all I can find now is 2 clear days, ie put form in on Mon can start work on Thurs.
I'm planning on handing my Application for Building Regulation Approval form with the Building Notice option ticked with my Fee along with my Notice Of Commencement Of Building Work form in together.
So is it 5 days or 2 days :?:

Sponsored Links
All the web site links I've gathered the last few weeks etc says 2 days, i've had 5 days in my head for some reason though - lol

Thanks for that Masona ;)

In theory that is the case but I don't usually bother give them a ring on the morning you start or soon after just to give them the oppertunity to come to site.
If you are working under a notice of commencement rather than approved plans then just double check that what you are doing is up to regs otherwise you could find them asking you to pull stuff down when they come to inspect.

Sponsored Links
I've got 2 forms to hand in

1- Application for Building Regulation Approval - with fee

2- Notice Of Commencement Of Building Work - with builders details & start date.

I'm just planning on handing them both in together and hopefully thats it. Then I've a form to hand in on completion.

When you pay your fee you get 2 coloured cards by return, one to send 2 days prior to work commencing, to give them a chance to visit as chappers says, and one to send in when the job's done, so they can inspect the work.

I don't know if the 48 hours can differ between different districts depending on their individual workloads. I would pay the fee and send in your plan, then wait for the notice of commencement and completion cards to come through. Should be very prompt. Give them a bell if you can't wait until the cards arrive to start the job.

Best of luck.

P.J.

In our area its seven days notice after warrant approval... Most extensions are finished by this stage unless you are a 'DIY-er' like myself. In my case there where on the phone wanting exact start dates etc.

You just start the work and ring them when you need an inspection.

You will be met with confused mumblings if you ring up and ask for 'commencement', and their reply will be "yeah great, glad you've started but how about just ringing us when you want a visit"... :rolleyes: :p

I forgot to add that i'm in glasgow area, the bco are more interested in emails than recieving calls for some reason, probably the paper trail..

Your builder should take care of the BCO stuff really - if you are having a builder.

Like noseall says - and its the same here in Bristol / South Glos - they very rarely care about commencement visits, usually want to come out when the foots are ready to pour.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back