building round inspection hole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
summers on its way so i have to pick up where i left off last year.
Could some one please shade some light on how i get around this drain inspection chamber.

Are there things you can buy that raise them up or is it just best to build around it.

once the cement lid is off, it angels down sharply into the water pipe carrying the rain water from the roofs. The sharp angel makes me think if i raised it there could be a problem trying to access it when needed.

Many thanks for any advice.

OJ
insepctiondraincoverslopesinside.jpg

Sponsored Links
Thank you so much for that link :D

I have a slight problem if i need to angle it as in the diagram, the hole entrance would be out of the wall area and on the path.
As the hight the wall be 2 or 3 blocks high, would I be able to angle it slightly and then straight up.

Is the angle a great necessity

Thanks

Put a bend on the pipe first, and then connect the cover

You can get angled or straight rodding eye covers, and the drain rods will still go down.

Sponsored Links
what are you actually putting there/doing around it etc?

I wondered that ;) and if it`s only rainwater........bury it ..I did to one @ my last house.......NEVER bury foul drainage ones tho :evil:

Thank you for you help sorry for the lack of job info.

I have uploaded another photo and will also get one on here of the cement block off.

The whole ground is to be raised flat, highest point at the house along to the road, estimate 4 blocks high.

The ground is a wasted unused space and eyesore anything I place on it ends up against the house and there is a lot of rain water that gathers to the house.

Many people are raising them for drive ways, but this will only be for show with no weight on it and back filled with gravel at the front and leveled with soil to the back, so i'm hoping this will give less worry to the holding strength around the inspection hole.

I have found when the cement block is raised there is a surrounding boarder of the same size made from red bricks. The red bricks would need resetting they are all over the place and then continue up with the light wieght breeze blocks to make a chamber, then replaceing the cement lid at the point the ground levels and if the rods can bend hopefully there will be no need to extend the pipe as the pipe has its own lid under the concrete cover.

I would like views on this ideal but will have to return with a photo of the cement lid off.

The worry of this thing... i'm sure has been putting me off tackling the job, so your help is much appreciated.

FULLSIDEVIEW.jpg

Apoligise to Mods if pics are big i'm still trying to find best size for viewing and for the forum, I will adjust the ones above once i've got the hang of it. :confused:

PICT0038.jpg

PICT0041.jpg

PICT0040.jpg

You are reading too much into it.

It is just an old fashioned way of capping off a rodding eye.

Do what was suggest previously and remove the surround, extend the pipe and fit a rodding eye cover. Its really not a major issue.

If you wanted, and depending on what paving you are laying, you can just cover it with a slab - chisel "RE" on it and then go over the top of it with the slab.

Have a think about how many times you have used it in the past, and it will be a good indication of likely future use.

or if you are putting paving over it and still want access put a recessed manhole cover over it. i agree with woody.

Your right i've been her 19 years and its never been used??

Directly over the top will be 2 ft of earth so i will extend the hole. the reason i worry so much, is you hear of people having to take work apart when officials come prowling.

My life of luck, they will want to use it a week later. :(

Thanks a lot guys the job is back on.
OJ :)

Looking into this job again as nice weather, have been advised as its an old clay pipe i would need to break the surround to even attach a rubber extension connector and breaking the surround will normally break the pipe, so I would need to take this back to the actuall main pipe and attach a whole knew piece.

Has anyone done this? or completed a job similar by removing the concrete surround to attach the rubber connector. Any speacial way of doing this?

Odd Job said:
Has anyone done this? or completed a job similar by removing the concrete surround to attach the rubber connector. Any speacial way of doing this?

yeah, use one of these,
grga9020kd.jpg

I got one.. cool.

I wasn't sure what would cause damage i thought of drilling an outer break of holes 1 inch away and chipping inwards.

Didn't even think of the grinder :rolleyes:

thanks

OJ

The only time 'Officials' will want it uncovered is if the access is required for public health reasons i.e. if it was a foul water cover. Or just maybe it might be a public storm water sewer rodding eye but it is highly unlikely. If this one takes rain water only you should be fine especially if it's only serving your property and not shared with anyone else.

Like others have said you can just cover it if you wish but I would prefer to fit a surface rodding eye cover myself like the one shown half way down the Paving expert link given.

-Neil

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back