Bullied by my builder? What rights? (Ed.)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So...
I need some advice on my rights, what I should, how calm I should be. I have a lot of pictures and things in writing but no contract.
We've employed a building firm to renovate our flat kitchen. (As yet we have paid nothing but were given a quote of £2.5k and around 8 days).
The contractor advised us to use Howden's for the units using his trade discount. The Howden's planner came round and CC'd the contractor in to the proposed plans.
Appliances booked, delivery dates sorted! Contractor agrees start date based on these.
Work begins, they gut out the old kitchen, and then seem to be heading in an unconventional direction:
  • They started with the floor tiling.
  • They look at the "plans"... Oh we can't use this and that unit because of the stop-tap. We can't use the radiator you bought or wall mount it because it's a load-bearing wall and the pipes run underneath it.
  • They start building the units and put everything in the wrong place, plus they're missing bits. So I call the kitchen planner and he brings a missing unit and the actual plans with dimensions. We are now four days in and this is the first time they've looked at the dimensions/measurements.
  • Everything is moved around but in the process some units are damaged and they are still not in the correct position.
  • The contractors said it was impossible to move the fuse switches but now they've offered to put them in a cupboard, however this is done really badly and to cover a huge gouge they've made.
  • They said a sealed mitred joint on laminate was impossible until I showed him one after they had fitted an ugly, cheap metal strip joint.
  • They've scratched the new sink putting it in.
  • Originally they fitted the units to be 10cms higher than a standard kitchen and blamed Howden's. So they had to take them all out and cut them down.
  • They've miscalculated the measurement of the washing machine space so that the skirting board won't fit next to it. It's meant to be 631 and they've given 600. They're solution is to screw a piece of skirting board on so that it can be removed when maintenance is needed. I pointed this out and he laughed at me repeating "How can I make the gap bigger, you show me, how, how can I, show me"
  • With all the delays I asked an approximate completion and was told they were over-time because of the appliance and kitchen delivery dates.
  • Plastering was done after everything else.
  • A lot of units have been cut unevenly.
  • I asked for the laminate top to be finished with a laminate end but he's insisting on a metal cap that looks cheap and attracts grime.
  • He told me that 8mm black or grey tile trim doesn't exist and that he has to use stainless steel.
He said it was unfair of me to point out flaws before he was finished. I said that they were concerns and I would give him the opportunity to finish it well according to his business standards and then we would inspect it at the end.

I'm

Sponsored Links
Just bought a couple of lengths of black tile trim today from BnQ comes in two thickness`s .

Personally I do not like laminate end trim, I have found in the past it will peel off, especially if you have young children with long finger nails and are bored. ( but that is no excuse for not fitting it if wanted.

Sounds like you have Cowboys on the job,

With out seeing the job it is difficult to say what is right or wrong, snags do happen and need a bit of inventiveness to overcome.

Take plenty of Photographs of the problems and give the contractor time to rectify them,

If you are still not satisfied then its a job for Trading Standards and possibly Small Claims Court.

Sponsored Links
Yeah, snags happen. I emailed him pictures of the snags to be rectified. I think it's reasonable to give them time to do this. He texted back saying:
Sure. May I ask you not to point snaggings before completion of the job. Is not reasonable. And professional
Thanks
See you later

Before this he'd told me the exact radiator size he told me to buy was wrong so I sent him the link back.

Thank you for any advice.

A bit pointless to wait until he has finished before pointing out problems you are not happy with.

What he is really trying to say is "point out the problems when we have gone and you have paid us, and you are stuck with the problems,"

Any bullying is unacceptable - by either side. If he persists then ask him to leave or he will be trespassing.

Always:
Immediately ask questions if you have questions.
Immediately raise concerns - dont delay.
Make a list of your concerns - and sleep on it - and look again in the morning.
Meet the builder on site with the list (give him a copy) and discuss your concerns.

Have you paid any money - if not then dont until a resolution is arrived at. Then pay by bank transfer.
Dont go legal for that amount but confirm the builders name and address etc.

I haven't paid any money.
However, I contacted gas safe register and this company is not registered. So the hob re-fitting is illegal. The engineer told me to report them.
I'm goimg to have to let them go.

I was just going to advise you to check if the Gas Fitting was fitted by a Gas Safe engineer but you got in first,
The Contractor has fitted a gas fitting illegally, get it checked out !

Do not pay any money contact Trading Standards ASAP

Trading Standards here I come. Currently taking photos of any damage they've caused during installation.
When I asked them to go he said, "I won't leave till you text that nothing has been stolen."

Whhhhhaatttt???

Trading Standards are useless.
Cut your losses - emotional and energy and time.
Clean up the site if necessary after photographing it and start again.
Dont apologise or explain whats previously happened when you have a new builder - just get on with it, a wiser guy in the ways of the building trade.

Trading Standards may already have a file on this particular builder which would be useful should it go to Court Proceedings, It appears the builder is now accusing the OP of stealing his goods
As the law stands if the builder has provided all the equipment it is his and has to be paid for, however if it is of substandard quality or damaged the builder has to rectify the problem, but the concern now is that the builder has undertaken illegal Gas fitting work, (a serious offence)

Thanks. I might try sending to Trading Standards anyhow.

I paid for all equipment so far. He seemed to be pre-empting me accusing him of stealing from my house, something I had never suggested. I think I've found a builder but if anyone has any recommendations in the South East please let me know.

This advice has been super helpful so far. Cowboys are so hard to spot.

Last edited:
Thanks. I might try sending to Trading Standards anyhow.

I paid for all equipment so far. He seemed to be pre-empting me accusing him of stealing from my house, something I had never suggested. I think I've found a builder but if anyone has any recommendations in the South East please let me know.

This advice has been super helpful so far. Cowboys are so hard to spot.

Revived thread.

The industry now is full of cowboys. And they are hard to spot sometimes.

I heard a British Gas advert tonight.

It rang very true.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back