Bungalow lighting....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The Father-In-Law wants a wall light putting up in his bungalow. I wanted to take the feed from an existing loop in near by ceiling rose. However, when i took the housing off the ceiling rose i notice that it only has a live, neutral and earth (same for all the ceiling roses). I'm assuming that the loop has been achieved through the light switches rather that the ceiling roses?

Any suggestions on the best way to install the wall light?
Can i find the live feed in the loft and put in a junction box up there to supply the wall light?

By the way the wall light housing has a built-in switch so i don't need to install a normal switch on the wall.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Hi Breezer, thanks for the quick reply.

Therefore, once i find the live feed for the lights in the loft can i just cut the cable (power off ofcourse) to install the jb?

Cheers

Have a look at one of the switches and see wether the live only has been looped to the switches (unlikely from your description) or wether the live & neutral are looped at the switches, or wether there is just a live and switched live at the switch.

How old is the wiring in the bungalow? I am wondering if you have a junction box system for your lighting in which case it will be much easier to wire in your wall light.

Sponsored Links
Hi RF, i was thinking that myself initially but i've had a brief look in the loft and i can't see a jb for the lighting circuit. Not unless it's hidden. I'll have another look next weekend. To be honest i've already chased the walls out and fitted the light. It's all wired up at the light end and still on the spool in the loft waiting to be wired in to a live feed somewhere. The mother in law is not to happy. I can't blame her for being a bit p****d off i should have checked the ceiling rose first!! Never mind, it's all part of the learning curve.

How old is the wiring?

It was very commonplace up until maybe 15? years ago to wiring all lighting circuits on the jb system.

As you only have one T+E at the ceiling rose then it is unlikely that the lights are wired in singles (L only loop at switch)

The wiring is approx 17 years old, i think i remember seeing a sticker on the cu saying installation was sometime in 1989.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back