Bungalow Roof

C

cabot

I live in a detached 1929 bungalow which is currently roofed with welsh slate on 4 sides.Wife and i have been contemplating replacing the slates as i think they have seen better days :( . 2 large flat roof dormers are situated on the north and south elevation and 2 chimney breasts are located on either west and east elevation.Can anyone give a VERY rough idea what i should be paying for either a strip an reslate or a complete new roof ,eg marley tiles or rosemaries and, if i do,change the slates for tiles will the roof battens be able to take the weight? :confused: I live in Edinburgh if its any use.Sometimes i get the distict impression when roofers turn up they add a zero on to the end figure.

Sponsored Links
How much money do you have? Replacing the slates with concrete tiles pretty much doubles the weight thus you need to strengthen the roof or replace completely. Just replacing the slates is a relatively cheap process.

Cost of jobs will vary from street to street, builder to builder so as a very rough estimate i would go for between £6k and 60k give or take 10k

Sponsored Links
Unless of course, the roof was built with timbers which are adequate to take tiles anyway. 3x2 rafters at 16" centres with a centre purlin are normally good for concrete tiles.

But change of tiles may require planning consent, and will require a building control application if loads increase.

May be better to use recontructed slate or cement fibre 'slate' which look the same and are light weight

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back