Burglar Alarm installing power

T

timmyquick

Hi all

Installed burglar alarm in my brothers house, well 2 months ago now but it is now time to supply power to it. Would like to know the best options to use.

1.Take a spur from upstairs socket into fcu on ground floor into burglar alarm panel with 2.5mm twin & earth.

2.Take feed directly to CU with 2.5 mm twin & earth on 16mcb into fcu by burglar alarm, would ideally like to use 1 mm twin& earth from CU on 3 amp mcb and use no fcu but them 3 amp mcb seem quite hard to come by on certain makes of CU.

So would just like to know which sounds like the best option to use.

ps please do mention Part P giving me a head ache! besides its still 2004 to me.

Sponsored Links
i would use a FCU with a 3A fuse from a ring main

I'd say straight from the CU, use a 6 amp breaker and 1.5mm twin and earth.

I think this option in neater as it avoids problems with power being lost in the even of the RCD tripping.

also if you have outside power or power to a nonalarmed area on the rcd and you are away for a while someone could conceiveablly take out your power and then come back when the batteries are flat.

mind you the same applies if you have an outside meter box and they remove the service fuse.

Sponsored Links
Pretty much any of the suggestions above are fine, just don't take a spur from the lighting circuit (especially if there are any flourescent or HID fittings on it). Also, if you do use a fused spur and you're using an ADE panel, don't use a fuse of a greater value than 2 Amps. You'll void the warranty. Don't forget to fit a decent (Yuasa) back up battery with a suitable capacity for your system.

EDIT: And don't forget to anchor the mains cable to the panel somewhere (With a cable tie or similar. Most manufacturers include info on suitable anchor points)

please also put an fcu near the panel, it WILL make life easier in the future. trust me

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back