Burglar alarm problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have an Intellisense 800L burglar alarm system, which was installed in 2000. When I shut off the mains lighting circuit the alarm is activated and the control panel (touch pad) goes dead (i.e. no lights). This has just started happening recently.

I have a feeling the battery may be failing, but the current battery is only about 2 years old. And anyway, I thought the battery would be recharged by the mains? Does this sound like I need a new battery? If so, will any 12V battery of the correct dimensions be ok, or do I need a special rechargeable type?

Cheers for any help.

Sponsored Links
It sounds like it is the battery which has failed. This is unusual for a battery only 2 years old, but not unheard of.

You need a rechargeable SLA (sealed lead acid) battery.

It needs to have at least the same rating as the current battery to ensure the battery can power your system for long enough in a power cut. You can fit a battery as big as you like, and are only limited by the physical space in the panel.

You can buy them online Here, or from any electrical wholesaler or branch of maplin electronics.

check the fuse too. it may just be that this has gone, so the battery is effectively not connected.

They are little 1 or 2amp 20mm glass ones on that panel I believe, I think there are three together, in fact there may even be a spare on board.

Good luck.

also but i will stand corrected if I must but I thought alarms should be either on a fused spur off the main or dedicated fused spur not off the lighting circuit but im probably wrong.

Sponsored Links
Really pees me off when the power goes off and every bugger's dead alarm systems start going off because they cant be arsed to pay for a yearly maintainance check. When the power goes off, there's meant to be silence! ffs. :evil:

I'm tempted to get some leaflets made up ready for the next power cut, and go round popping one through the letterbox of each house with a wailing alarm box.

Something like "Your alarm is knackered. I will come and fix it" :LOL:

Mine doesn't go off for days, what with having 28Ah of backup batteries :LOL:

RF Lighting said:
"Your alarm is knackered. I will come and fix it"

You've got t' gift o't' gab, lad. Money'll come rollin' in!

"There was a powercut today. I was passing, and happened to notice your alarm was sounding. Alarms dont sound during a power cut unless there is something wrong, so please give me a telephone call on the number below and I will come and change your battery for a competitive rate. Do you really want to be labelled a public nuisance?"

;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back