Buzzing from ceiling light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a ceiling light that is making a buzzing sound when switched off.
I have checked all the connections in the switches (it can be switched on & off from two locations) and ceiling rose and they appear fine.

It has made the buzzing noise ever since I moved in but the light has always worked fine - doesn't blow bulbs or trip the circuit - so I haven't worried much about it.

Can anybody shed any light - (sorry) - on this for me?

Sponsored Links
if it is a humming noise it could be that it doesn't know the words. :LOL:

is by any chance a low voltage light?

Yes it is one of those energy saving 13w bulbs.
But I have them in other rooms and they don't hum. The only difference is they are 1 way whereas the problem one is a 2 way- actually it is a 3 way as it has an intermediate switch as well.

sorry to be "picky" but energy saving lamps are NOT low voltage. what happens if you put an ordainairy clear (not frosted) lamp in? doesn't slightly glow does it? (you may need to look at the dead of night)

also what happens if you try a different energy saving lamp?
what happens if you put the buzzing energy saving lamp some where else does it buzz?

Sponsored Links
If I try that energy saving bulb in another light it does not buzz.
If I put a non-buzzing bulb from another room into that light then it does buzz.
Also no bulb at all then no buzz (but that is probably obvious)

I will have to go and buy a ordinary clear bulb first before I can test that scenario. Check back tomorrow for results.

Actually it doesn't! Put a 60w clear bulb in and NO buzzing, can't see any glow either. Put an energy saver in and it does buzz.

I will check the connections in the lamp holder anyway. Thanks for the pointer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back