C&G 2330

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently attending a local college on a "one-day-release" on a City Guilds 2330, Year One. My intention is to complete this year and move onto Year Two and onto Year Three. My question is this, if I am successful at all stages of the course and walk away with a pass, what realistic opportunities will I have of breaking into the domestic side of elecrical installation, my long term aims are to eventually set-up on my own. I am currently not in the trade, I am 31 years old and looking for a change in career and the prospect of becoming a sole trader/self employed electrician strikes me as a challenging goal.

I appreciate it's not really a simple question but I guess I am looking to the people with experience to give me a steer.

Sponsored Links
I have no experience of the new C&G2330 but I did take 2360 as a mature student (54) and now have my own business. i also took 2391 I&T and enrolled as an approved contractor with NICEIC.

I would encourage you to pursue your studies and you will succeed, there seems to be plenty of work.

If you want to mail me I may be able to help you further with past exam papers, addy is in profile.

Hi I am also doing the C&G2330 course at my local college.
I found out this week that i can also do the C&G2377 PAT testing at the same time this is only a four week course and will allow you to go out in the field doing PAT testing.
You may be able to do the same thing at your college and do the PAT testing as a job while you are finishing your 2330 that way if all else fails then you just go around doing PAT testing.

gazza30 said:
I found out this week that i can also do the C&G2377 PAT testing at the same time this is only a four week course and will allow you to go out in the field doing PAT testing.
You may be able to do the same thing at your college and do the PAT testing as a job while you are finishing your 2330 that way if all else fails then you just go around doing PAT testing.

What do you propose to do Gazza when you have completed your 2330, in regards to a career/job, ie self employed or seek employment or are you on the tools in some capacity now? Reason I ask just keen to see what others are setting their sights on for the future.

Sponsored Links
gazza30 said:

I can't think of a more boring task than In Service Testing.
Don't get me wrong, I have taken the course (which was two days) and am 'qualified' to do PAT testing. Its a usefull extra string to your bow but doing nothing but Pat testing is mind numbing

Your are correct Qedelec your brain will die very quick only doing PAT testing but all i was trying to point out is the fact this is an option and a way to get your foot in the door in the electrical industry.
I am 34 and am finding it very very hard to get into the industry even though i am going the C&G2330 i have found a scheme called building futures that is running to try to fill the gap in the skilled trades what they have said is that they will pay me a wage while i train if i can find a placement with a company. This will mean that i will work for a company for 4 days a week costing them nothing and i still cannot get anywhere.
I am looking to work in the industry for am employer not for myself this may change after a few years but we will see.

Out of interest, are there any courses you can go on to get a qualification in boilers and air conditioning units?

carlos

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back