C&G 2381/2391

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know this is a 'how long's a piece of string' question but ...

If I were to do either 2381 and/or 2391, what options do I have (types of establishment, courses, duration etc) and what is likely to be the (range of) costs? I have a 9-5 job so would prefer out-of-hours, correspondence or intensive (take-leave-and-do-it-all-at-once) if available.

An internet search didn't seem to be telling me much, maybe I didn't try hard enough

Sponsored Links
Local colleges of further education generally run trade courses. Phone them for a prospectus of part-time courses. (These days, of course, they may be called community colleges.) There are also a number of private training companies offering 2-to-5-day courses - try searching for 'electrical training courses uk' or similar.

Given the choice I would definitely opt for the colleges though - one night a week (usually three hours) for ten weeks, leading up to the exam at the end. It gives you a chance to let things sink in, it's out of hours, you get to know the other trainees and it's cheaper.

Thanks for that. I'll see whether any of the colleges around here (Surrey) 'stoop' to such things or whether they're too busy with 'Flower Arranging 3' and 'Advanced 4x4 Techniques for the School Run'

I did my C&G 2381 through T J Lowe at their Bracknell training facility. Their other site is Rotherham.
2381 is a 2 day course, 2391 is three days.

http://www.tjlowe.co.uk/html/services4.htm & http://www.tjlowe.co.uk/training.pdf for last years brochue. They have a new one, they just haven't put it up yet.

Still waiting for my results of 2381 but it didn't seem that hard.

Disclaimer: I do not work for nor am I connected to T J Lowe.

Sponsored Links
There's been a lot of stuff about this on the Screwfix forum. It seems as though C&G do a very poor job when it comes to quality control - some courses are apparently complete rubbish.

If you identify a course, try to find out if anybody can recommend it.

ban-all-sheds said:
It seems as though C&G do a very poor job when it comes to quality control - some courses are apparently complete rubbish

City & Guild is the Awarding Body; they don't actually run courses. While they do send in moderators to look at students' completed work, they have little control over how the material is delivered. The quality of any course is pretty much down to the person teaching it and there are many poor teachers/trainers out there who will simply teach you what to write to pass the exam, whether you understand it or not.

I'd agree entirely about getting a recommendation.

dingbat said:
ban-all-sheds said:
It seems as though C&G do a very poor job when it comes to quality control - some courses are apparently complete rubbish

City & Guild is the Awarding Body; they don't actually run courses. While they do send in moderators to look at students' completed work, they have little control over how the material is delivered.
They could do a great deal more if they so chose.

ban-all-sheds said:
They could do a great deal more if they so chose.

How? The IEE set the standards for electrical work, but they don't come around to check, do they?

C & G set the syllabus and the grade boundaries and stipulate conditions. It is up to colleges, etc to meet them and carry out their own internal quality assurance, which is then overseen by C & G moderators. Then, on top of that, colleges are inspected by Ofsted.

So, if sampled portfolio work is up to scratch and exams are passed, records kept and deadlines met who's to say that's been achieved by a great teacher or a box-ticker? Short of recruiting teaching staff and delivering their own courses it's hard to see what more C & G (a registered charity) could do.

I've phoned Bracknell College and the lady on the info desk and I talked about 2391 & 2400. She said that one ought to have done 2360 first or be a qualified electrician. The problem there is 2360 takes 3yrs. Comment's on this would be most welcome.

I also notice that BAS's PartPee.gif is hosted by handymac.co.uk who is based near Bracknell. Can you provide any recommendation about the courses at the college?

TIA

asterisk said:
I also notice that BAS's PartPee.gif is hosted by handymac.co.uk who is based near Bracknell. Can you provide any recommendation about the courses at the college?
That site's nothing to do with me - I just blagged the image....

maybe you just got forgotten about

i know you on here and im pertty sure you are a spaky so i'll let you in

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back