Cable size for load side of fused Spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've installed a fused spur from the ring mains using a 2.5mm2 cable, and now need to run a short length (0.5m) of cable from the spur to an electric fireplace which has a max setting of 2kW. What size cable do I need for this short run - can I suffice with 1.5mm2?

Sponsored Links
The fuse will prevent a current of more than 13A flowing down that spur so 1.5mm will do.

Bit mean of you not to use 2.5mm anyway, though. Do you have the 1.5mm handy from a lighting job?

Hi, I have a sufficient length of both 1.5 and 2.5mm2 flex (round type) but I was hoping to get away with the 1.5 as it means a smaller depth chase in the wall, seeing as I don't own a grinder. :D

1) Why are you using flex for fixed wiring?

2) Are you aware of the rules concerning concealed cables?

Sponsored Links
Hi, I wasn't aware flex couldn't be concealed - is this dangerous? I asked the guy in the show who said it was fine but what about the flat type cable - would that be a better choice?

Akshay said:
... what about the flat type cable - would that be a better choice?

Yes. that is what is normally used for fixed wiring. You can probably buy it by the metre in your hardware shop or DIY shed. If you buy 2.5mm it can be used for future sockets on the ring main. 1.5mm is mostly for lighting circuits but can be used for a single fused spur.

Inside the sheath, the earth cable is bare copper - slip some green and yellow plastic sleeving over the exposed part of this, apart from the bit you connect to the earth terminals at each end. this g/y will usually be near the reels of cable in the shop, you can probably buy a short length in a plastic bag, or a cut length if cheaper. You will only need a few inches for each job.

Without wishing to be rude, you might benefit from a home wiring DIY boo - there are lots in the library or bokshop. It will have illustrated examples of the sort of thing you are doing, and will answer questions you didn't know you needed to ask. Like the grommets, perhaps.

Perhaps I misunderstood. Did you mean you had an FCU with a flex outlet? If so, then flex is the right thing to use if it is not buried in the wall.

Thanks mate, yes the electric fireplace will sit flush against the wall but I want to bury the cabling so I'll get some 2.5mm T&E cable like you mentioned together with an oval conduit.

We fit loads of fires, both gas (with electric for power flue and ignition) and electric only. All the fires wi fit come pre flexed from the manufacturer like a standard portable appliance. We wire a spur near the fireplace and connect the fire straight into the spur, with the flex flushed into the wall between the fire and spur.
The flex is run in oval conduit, so that if the fire goes faulty etc and needs replacing it can easily be removed / replaced.

ban-all-sheds said:

Because 7671 allows it, Ban!

The regulations permit the use of flexible cables for fixed wiring and have done for some time to get in line with europe.

Cannot remember the reg. number (they're in the van and I can't be bovvered to get them).

RF Lighting said:
We wire a spur near the fireplace and connect the fire straight into the spur, with the flex flushed into the wall between the fire and spur.
So it just passes through some untidy hole in the wallpaper/plaster?

securespark said:
ban-all-sheds said:

Because 7671 allows it, Ban!
Never said it didn't..

The regulations permit the use of flexible cables for fixed wiring and have done for some time to get in line with europe.
Flexible or not, the rules on concealment are the same..

ban-all-sheds said:
RF Lighting said:
We wire a spur near the fireplace and connect the fire straight into the spur, with the flex flushed into the wall between the fire and spur.
So it just passes through some untidy hole in the wallpaper/plaster?

:?: With it being flushed into the wall and all, there is no flex on show

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back