cable size for ring main sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there, i\\\'m adding a few more sockets to the ring and the fuse is 30a in the fuse box. All the cable in diy shops is 25/28 amps and 2.5mm. Will this be ok or do i need 30a or over to match the fuse?
thanks

Sponsored Links
peteg40 said:
hi there, i\\\'m adding a few more sockets to the ring and the fuse is 30a in the fuse box. All the cable in diy shops is 25/28 amps and 2.5mm. Will this be ok or do i need 30a or over to match the fuse?
thanks

2.5mm^2 is the standard for ring circuits. If you have a radial then 2.5mm^2 is good for 20A or 4mm^2 for 32A.

You don't need to match the fuse because a ring circuit feeds power from both sides, so (in an ideal perfectly balanced world) you'd only ever draw 15A through each leg.

Davy

peteg40 said:
thanks

Are you extending the ring circuit, or are you planning on spurring the new sockets from the existing ring?

Please provide us with as much informaton on your proposals as you can, so we can give you the most apropriate advice.

Sponsored Links
peteg40 said:
i'm extending the ring - not spurring it off...

In which case 2.5mm^2 is fine. Remember to sleeve the earth with yellow and green sleeving and keep the cables in the safe zones (if you are chasing them into the walls).

peteg40 said:
i'm extending the ring - not spurring it off...

your cable will be fine then Peter as said both cables will be live so effectively can carry more than the single rating.

Thread%20Necromancy.jpg

I know.... :oops: I don't know how that happened...

But give me credit. I don't do it regularly.

Nor do I drag up old threads often. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back