Cable size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Anyone know what the minimum size cable for running a cable for either a 30amp or 25amp draw with 110v?

12/3 or alternate?

Sponsored Links
It'll be big fella.

It is a long time since I thought of US cable types..damn I'm getting old...but the UK equivilent will be 6mm2 or 10mm2, the size will depend on the construction of the cables as the better construction and heat dissipation properties of some allow higher current rating ....(simplified explanation of that bit :) )

Isn't it all done on the AWG (American Wire Guage) system? I used to work with those when doing car stereos for family and friends. Funny how despite all the UK and EU regs on domestic wiring we use US cable sizes for powering in-car amplifiers!

Now, I assume by 12/3 you mean 3 cores of 12 AWG conductors? If so, then you will get about a 5% voltage drop on a fairly short run. Might be safer to go for 10 AWG or even 8 AWG. Thicker cables, more expensive and more difficult to work with but they can carry more juice.

Sponsored Links
I just read the link from Ian's post, that seems to explain it all.

I dunno, try to look clever and someone has already put all the necessary information on the net. Bah humbug :D

first off, x/3 cable has 4 wires in it, x/2 cable has 3 wires. the ground is not counted, so a 12/2 cable has a hot, a neutral, and a ground

you need to use 10/2 cable. 10 AWG cable is rated for up to 30 amps. 12 AWG cable is only rated for up to 20 amps, which would not be enough in your case

Back