Can anyone identify this "THING"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there.

On one wall of my living room (an outside wall, next to patio doors) there is a cream coloured item, quite bulky - about 5 inches high & 4 across.

It has a small 3-way switch at the right hand side of it's face with the top position marked by a square, a circle at the middle position & a star at the bottom. On the left hand side of it's face, it has a long, sliding switch which has a symbol next to it made of several blocks, getting wider nearer the top of it. If you put your ear to it, you can hear a slight electrical hum. None of the switch positions appears to have any effect. I have been in this house for 2 years & have simply covered it with a curtain but it has intrigued me for a while. On the bottom of the unit is the name "RLC1 LIGHT CONTROL UNIT" along with voltage warnings etc.

I think it may be a timer for some outside lights that have been removed, but I'm not sure...

Any ideas???
Gaz

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Sorry about the quality, seems as if my camera is on the blink...
DSCN0948.jpg

and...

DSCN0949.jpg
[/img]

Does that say "RACAL?"

Was it always a private house?

It's made by Racal Guardall - who (used) to make security systems, I think. So maybe associated with a (now removed) alarms system, perhaps.

Searching on the net does not find any further details on this gadget, though

fancy that

RacalMug.jpg

... I like mugs :D

edited: I have now started a Mugs album.

seems like an extract fan speed controller..

the square is for vent only ( ie just the louvre's open )
circle is off..
star is fan..

speed controll slider to the left..?

RACAL (now Thales plc) was established in 1950 by RAmond brown & george CALder. They were an electronics company that at one time owned Chubb. Part of their product range was security lighting that could stand alone or be linked to alarm systems. in 1992 Chubb took the product range when RACAL sold them off to focus on other parts of their business.

Chubb still make lighting security systems.

http://www.chubb.co.uk/chserver/navId/000002009000004

I've just received the installation, test and repair manuals for that lighting system from Guardall. I'll forward them to you if you let me have your e-mail address.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back