Can anyone please help regarding a querie on pc cases?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought a second-hand pc for my son.

It is quite old but it is a Pentium 4 machine. The problem is that it is one of the 'Tiny' mini towers and the case is awful.

The slot for the cd-rom drive is partially hidden and when I installed a new DVD writer the drawer would not open.

He also wants a removable hard drive bay fitted and the case restrictions will not allow this.

I have now come to the decision that I ought to transfer the motherboard/cpu to a new larger case that allows some room for expansion and provides much easier access to everything.

The machine is a Tiny - Model No. 850.

My query is - Would I be restricted to certain types/designs of cases or would any be ok?

Unfortunately, I cannot seem to find out anything about the motherboard and other components as they do not appear to have any visible details printed on them, or on any label, and because the Company has now gone out of business there is, virtually, no help available via any websites.

Sponsored Links
this may not be what you wanted to hear... but for about £150 you can buy a "Barebones" PC from e.g. Novatech (I got one recently). No screen, keyboard or mouse, moded, no disk drives. You swap all that from your old one. But you get case, power supply, motherboard, plenty of slots, CPU fan and memory installed and tested, and cables ready for you to fit your own drives. Mine has room for 4 x 5" drives on the front, I have fitted two Removable drawers as well as the reader and a writer (so I can do quick disk copies). USBs front and back.

Before I bought it I had tried swapping into a bigger case but found the rear slots didn't quite line up with my old m/b.

(p.s. I suppose if I had wanted to badly enough, I might have modified the new case with a hammer, hacksaw and drill)

A standard ATX case will be fine, theres plenty to choose from, £20 upwards.
Some of the tiny cases you could remove the "curved bit" on the 5 1/2 bays, a bit unsightly but workable.

Sponsored Links
Back