Can i fit this extractor fan above my bath?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is the extractor i bought here
to fit over a bath with these mixer taps here
It will not be used as a shower, as i have a seperate one.

The extractor instruction just say not for fitting in a shower cubicle!

I have cut the hole in the ceiling for this fan, but then was a little unsure.

Put my mind at rest.

Sponsored Links
I can put your mind at rest. You can stop worrying about whether you can do it.

You almost certainly can't.

It's a mains voltage fan, and does not, as far as the website shows, have any IP rating, so you cannot have it in Zone 1 or Zone 2. (See here and here for diagrams showing where the zones are in bathrooms).

IF your ceiling is over 3m high, then it is outside the zones, and you may have the fan over the bath. 30mA RCD protection strongly advised. 3m ceilings not very common.

IF the fan is IPx4 rated, and IF your ceiling height is over 2.25m, then you can use it. 30mA RCD protection strongly advised.

After further reading of the instruction the fan has a rating of IP24 and the height of the ceiling is 2.45m, does this make a difference?

If not can a relocate over the sink?

Cannot get the zone links to work.

Cheers!

Surely if a fan is of a suitable IP rating it can be installed within zone 1, how else do you explain electric showers

Sponsored Links
ban-all-sheds said:
IF your ceiling is over 3m high, then it is outside the zones, and you may have the fan over the bath. 30mA RCD protection strongly advised. 3m ceilings not very common.
Any idea why it have to be 3m high ? My extractor fan is 3m high above the bath, just wonder why ? Is it so it's out of reach with wet hands etc ?

Your fan may be 3m over the bath to comply with regs as it may be mains voltage and at that height would comply, being outside the zones.

Any lower (zone 2) and SELV is required.However, above 2.25m in zone 3 is also outside the zones.

Thanks for that but what is the real reason behind it ? splashing water or wet hand, out of reach etc ?

So you're OK then, after all

tonyrobbo said:
After further reading of the instruction the fan has a rating of IP24 and the height of the ceiling is 2.45m, does this make a difference?
Yup - the IP rating is crucial. As the website didn't say it, and as it's such an important fact, I assumed that the fan wasn't rated. Stupid, I know, given that Screwfix are a shed at heart. As I said in my first reply:

IF the fan is IPx4 rated, and IF your ceiling height is over 2.25m, then you can use it. 30mA RCD protection strongly advised.
IP24 means it's adequately rated, and your ceiling height means it will be in Zone 2, not Zone 1, and therefore allowed.

Apologies for any alarm I caused. I still can't believe that Screwfix don't regard an IP rating as a vital fact regarding a fan.

Do the instructions also point out the need for 3-core + earth cable and a 3-pole isolation switch?

Cannot get the zone links to work.
Odd - they work OK for me - anybody else got the same problem?

crystal ball said:
Surely if a fan is of a suitable IP rating it can be installed within zone 1, how else do you explain electric showers
In Zone 1 it must be SELV, or if not, then you must be able to justifiably show why it can't be located in Zone 2 (and record the justification in writing on the Certificate), and RCD protection is mandatory, not just advisable.

And thinking about it - if the (usual) case of the lighting circuit is used, and that circuit was't RCD protected, providing protection for a fan with timed overrun would need 2 RCD spurs. SELV would be cheaper.

securespark said:
Any lower (zone 2) and SELV is required.However, above 2.25m in zone 3 is also outside the zones.
SELV is not a requirement in Zone 2. It's not even an absolute requirement for Zone 1.

Ban

What you just said about my post doesn't seem to square with what you wrote in reply to the original post?

Regs extract:(abridged)

May be installed in z1 if suitable:

(i) water heater
(ii) shower pump

(iii) other fixed current using equipment which can reasonably only be located in zone 1 provided that:

it is suitable for the conditions of that zone.

is rcd protected

(iv) SELV.

Ps it took me a while to get your links, they are pdf and if you dont have acrobat reader, then you can't view them...maybe this is what happened.

Just looked at a similar problem, lighting above the shower cubical and above the bath.
1) BS 7671 p138, the hight for zone 2 is min. 2.25m, according to the drawing the arrow aimed to the floor, but somewhere else I sow a remark mentioning the basin. Can someone confirm where it should be measured from? in my bath it makes a difference between Z1 & Z2.
2) BS 7671 p136 (601-09-03), I can't see a requirement for SELV, it says 'The following fixed current-using equipment may be installed in zone 2...etc' and one of the options is (v) SELV current -using equipment.
Number (iii) talks about luminaire and other stuff, but no mention of requirement for SELV for this part. BS 7671, 601-08-01, p135, there is no mention of luminaire. So is this a requirement and if yes where can I find it?
3) Is there a way to identify whether a spot light housing/bulb is IP rated, would it be marked somewhere? (old units, no box)
4) All this questions came because, I had a problem with my lights in the bathroom and thought that if I'll change them to mains supply spot lights protected by RCD, I will not need to have the trouble of dealing with the transformers, as well as all the house will have the same type of lighting.
Albert

securespark said:
Ban

What you just said about my post doesn't seem to square with what you wrote in reply to the original post?
Yes - :oops: apologies :oops: to all - it was very sloppily and incompletely worded - I did a longer reply originally and then tried to condense it, and screwed up. What I wrote didn't even match what I said at the end of the same post. Doh!! I meant to say that as it was mains it couldn't go in Zone 1 (as there is no reasonable justification for not putting it in Zone 2), and as it (I thought) had no IP rating, it couldn't go in Z1 or Z2.

Ps it took me a while to get your links, they are pdf and if you dont have acrobat reader, then you can't view them...maybe this is what happened.
Blimey - PDF is such a ubiquitous format, and has been for so long, I didn't think anybody would not have it. Sorry.

No need to apologise about pdf Ban!!

Just reckoned the reason he couldn't get the link was a lack of Reader on his PC.

Even though I have it , it (my pc or the software, I have not worked out) takes forever to come up with the goods.

BTW, anyone who needs Adobe Acrobat Reader can download it for free using this link.

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readermain.html

Got the links working now, had to re-install acrobat tho, weird!

From looking at the diagrams i think it should be ok also.

Instruction for wiring say:

A double pole fused spur must be used, fitted with a 3 amp fuse, sited outside the bathroom.

Thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back