Can I lay laminate on top of carpet?

Div

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My laminate instructions state that it cannot be layed on top of carpet. I have a thin carpet on top of a chipboard floor that looks to me like it will to the same job as the polystyrene type roll I've previously used as underlay. Can I go ahead and lay the laminate straight on the carpet?

Sponsored Links
Div said:
My laminate instructions state that it cannot be layed on top of carpet. I have a thin carpet on top of a chipboard floor that looks to me like it will to the same job as the polystyrene type roll I've previously used as underlay. Can I go ahead and lay the laminate straight on the carpet?

The expanded foam underlay not only acts to cushion the laminate but also acts as a sliding layer to allow the laminate to expand and contract unimpeded. Remember to keep the slick side up, foam side down.
For the sake of £1 per sq metre of floor ( 2mm underlay cost) you would be better to strip the carpet and install as recommended by manufacturer.

Carpet backing will eventfully rots where underlay foam doesn't.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back