Can I relocate a double socket this way?

10 May 2009
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I’m having built in wardrobes installed in 2 alcoves and plaster boarding over the gap to leave a flush finish on the wall.

Since I have a double socket (on the ring) in one of the alcoves this will no longer be accessible.

My original plan was to just plug a multi-socket extension into the old wall socket and then run the cable though the plaster board and screw the multi-socket it to the front. Since this doesn’t require any electrical work.
However I’m now considering something with a better finish. I.e. a new socket on the plaster board. But I still want to keep the electrical work as simple as possible.

Could I connect to the old socket using a plug and then wire the cable from that plug into the new socket? Should this be a straight forward L, N & E connection? Advice welcome.

Sponsored Links
I guess what I want to confirm is kind of like what's represented in the bottom plug that's extended from the ring.
Not a sparky, but if you plan on boarding over back of cupboard - and therefore old socket which you have plug into - then I think no - since you will be concealing a junction.

If the back of the cupboard is left open into alcove - i.e. existing socket fully accessible - then possibly OK - not ideal i would have thought.
Sponsored Links
quite clearly the socket will not be accessible, so you can't do what you said.. there's also the problem of what happens if the fuse on the extension lead blows?

you could extend the wires in the socket with crimps and put a new surface socket on the new plasterboarda or inside the built ins..
So it’s against building/wiring regulations to conceal a wall socket? Does that mean if you cover one you have to “cap it off” or something? What if you place furniture in front of one, or is it just permanent structures?

I can remove a section from the back of the wardrobe so direct access to the socket is still possible (if you open the doors).

NB: If I did the extension cord option its fuse would still be accessible since it would just be mounted against the wall.

Is JB junction box? That’s downstairs by my front door, does that play a part in this?
just permanent, since they cannot be easily moved / removed to gain access to the socket / joint for testing purpouses..

no your JB isn't downstairs by the front door, that's likely the fuse board or concumer unit ( depending if you have fuses or circuit breakers.)

A JB is indeed a Junction Box.. it's often a round thing where you connect wires together

in this case it would be the blanked off socket which would have terminal block inside of it..

if you're willing to cut out a section of the back of the wardrobe, then you can plug an extension into it as long as you can access it to change fuses etc..
My thanks to everyone who was kind enough to provide help and advice. Much appreciated, I will talke what you all said on board :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links