Can I Rewire?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to know if it is possible for me to rewire my own house and on completion either call in a registered electrician to test, inspect and certify or call in my local building control to test, inspect and certify it.

I am currently taking my C&G 2330 (halfway through) and I could do with the hands on experience as I am not in the trade at present.

Advice appreciated

Sponsored Links
To enlarge on the above. You cannot do the work and then call the council in. You have to inform them that you are going to carry out the work and they will want to inspect it at various stages (like checking all your work complies with various regulations -not just electrical stuff). The council then should test it once all has been completed.
Oh yes, and you'll have to pay them to do this, of course!

Now that's how its supposed to work. If you are doing 2330, it will be worth your while having alook at the Part P document. Its online at http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_ADP_2006.pdf

Somewhere around page 11 there's a section on certifying work where the installer is not competent to sign BS7671 certs. Enjoy, its a cracking read - then you can call your LABC and see how they interpret the thing.

Let us know how you get on! Enjoy!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back