Can i run two double sockets off a fused spur?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently there is only one Double socket in my kitchen running by a fused spur, is it possible to add another fused spur to this spur to add a single/double socket??

Sponsored Links
What is the arrangement? I'm not clear what you have.

ricky_k said:
Currently there is only one Double socket in my kitchen running by a fused spur, is it possible to add another fused spur to this spur to add a single/double socket??

It is possible to connect another socket from the current socket you have creating a radial circuit from the FCU (Original circuit - FCU - double socket - double socket). The point to remember is that these 4 socket outlets will only have a maximum capacity of 13A. That means when your washing-machine is on you probably won't have much left for anything else. I wouldn't recommend this solution.

Another option is that you could just extend the circuit you are spurring off into the kitchen. This will give you more capacity than the spur idea above but by far the best option is to call in an electrician to wire a new circuit for your kitchen with at least 4 double sockets and have it connected to its own MCB/fuse. This is the safest option and gives you plenty of capacity for a number of appliances to be used at the same time.

Hello,
I am not qualified, so please wait for other replies to confirm but :
From a fused spur you can run an unlimited number of socket outlets, as they are all protected by the 13a fuse, however, this is not feasible, or good practice in most situations , and wiring your kitchen in this way will almost certainly lead to overloading the fuse and may give rise to problems with isolating equipment.
Is it not possible for you to use the one socket you do have, and extend the ring if the circuits characteristics allow it??.

I wont say anything about Part P as I am sure that you aware of it's implications. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
davy_owen_88 said:
ricky_k said:

It is possible to connect another socket from the current socket you have creating a radial circuit from the FCU (Original circuit - FCU - double socket - double socket). The point to remember is that these 4 socket outlets will only have a maximum capacity of 13A. That means when your washing-machine is on you probably won't have much left for anything else. I wouldn't recommend this solution.

Well i would on be running a fridge, toaster, kettle and microwave, from the sockets.

To extend the ring to the kitchen would mean a lot of work

best start now then :cry:

the appliances you mention will soon blow a 13A fuse

I could gain a scoket by adding one of these tho as i just have a single cooker switch.

p4750169_x.jpg

Only if your diversity calculation on the cooker circuit will allow for it.

ricky_k said:
Well i would on be running a fridge, toaster, kettle and microwave, from the sockets.

To extend the ring to the kitchen would mean a lot of work

If you use your head and don't make a cup of tea whilst toasting some bread ready for the beans from the microwave I doubt if you will ever blow the 13amp fuse.

And if it does blow, just make sure you have a spare to hand.

ricky_k said:

What about a freezer? Pensdown is right in saying using any one at a time will not cause any problems, but fridges and freezers kick in randomly to keep a satisfactory temperature, and it might happen that they both come on when you put on the kettle. Yes you could live with this as long as you have plenty of spare fuses and lots and lots of patience, but I know if it was me after a few blown fuses I'd wish I had just done it properly in the first place.

It would only take you to wake up a bit late one morning and in a rush you put on the toaster and the kettle at the same time and there goes the fuse. And first thing in the morning its enough to push you over the edge - well atleast for me. (I'm not a morning person... did you guess? lol)

davy, have a look at the tripping curves for a 13amp BS-1362 fuse. A fridge draws less than 6 amps when running and although the starting current is higher I doubt if it will open a 1362 even if the kettle and toaster are being used at the same time.

Yes, the ideal solution would be to extend or install a new circuit but the OP might not be in position to do that so in the short term, with a few limitations there is absolutely nothing wrong with his proposal.

I haven't got them to hand but I think I remember a load of about 30A taking about 400s? So you are right, its unlikely those appliances would be enough to trip the fuse considering the short lengths of time they are on and the fact he doesn't have the high power appliances (washing machine, dishwasher, electric hob) that I originally thought might be present.

Regardless, I still think that (ignoring the inconvenience for a moment) if you can afford to get the work done I would suggest you do so. If you can't then go with the extra sockets from the fused spur and keep it in your mind to get the work done next time you consider decorating.

Davy

Well there will be no freezer as its a small town flat and have another room for a freezer if one is required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back