Can I use Dulux Retail over Dulux Trade base coat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Would it be ok to use Dulux Retail (Rich Matt) over my walls which currently have 2 base coats of diluted Dulux Trade vinyl matt (brilliant white).

I'm sure I read somewhere that the two may not be compatible, or did I just imagine it?

I cannot find the colour I want in Dulux Trade - I've tried a tester pot and it looks too dark wheras the Retail equivalent in the same colour is perfect.

Cheers :cool:

Sponsored Links
had this myself. Painted with dulux trade, ran out - couldnt get to a trade outlet on sunday so bought the retail version. Bad mistake - different colour. Use the trade.

I think you've totally misunderstood my question....read again :rolleyes:

My walls are painted in Dulux trade matt - brilliant white as a base coat only, i.e to seal areas of bare plaster.

I now want to finish with a final coat - Dulux Almond White.

I tried a sample pot of Trade almond white - I didn't like the colour.

I tried a sample pot of Retail almond white and the colour was perfect.

So my question is can I use a retail final coat over a trade base/mist coat.

The answer to your question is yes.
The key difference is the consistency of the paint. Dulux Retail paints are ready for use straight from the can. Many professional decorators, however, like to thin their paint before use and so Dulux Trade paints have a slightly different formulation. However, both Dulux Trade and Retail paints are manufactured to the same high specification. :)

Sponsored Links
It's also a yes from me.
Not that anyone takes any notice though....must be the name :eek:

However- there is a poster that reckons Dulux Rich Matt , should be made illegal.

Growler said:
It's also a yes from me.
Not that anyone takes any notice though.... :eek:
AWWwwww :LOL:
Yes from me too if I'm stuck with retail. But may need extra coats..

Trade outlets always warn that trade tester pots may not be tru.. The computer dont seem to be able to make such small doses.. (but they still sell em tut) As opposed to retail tester pots where the colour comes out of large vat. The trade almond white should be ok colourwise in larger size..
good luck..

claire79 said:
Growler said:
However- there is a poster that reckons Dulux Rich Matt , should be made illegal.

Why is that then? :rolleyes:

Claire: Your question should be to the certain poster...do a search (Rich Matt illegal).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back