Can somebody please tell me if what i've done is dangerous

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I added a spur from a socket in my kitchen for my dryer. I've also added a fused spur from that for a lamp. I know that you can't have a spur from a spur but is it ok if i use the fused spur and if i only use 1 socket on each spur :?:
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Down to the wattage of your dryer but technically, yes, could be highly dangerous.
What happens when you move and granny moves in and plugs in two electric fires 'cos she's cold?
Always work on the worst case scenario and cater for it, just in case (unless of course you are happy with it and rip out the 2nd spur before moving).

Cheers Scoby,

So will this configuration be ok for me as long as i remove the second spur before i move, if i ever do. If i only use 1 socket on each spur this will be ok?

I'm not recommending this as a way of doing things as it could be potentially dangerous.
Also, I'm no electrician, just picked up a few pointers when re-wiring house.
What I am saying is if your dryer is, say, 2kw, a 60watt bulb attached isn't going to make any difference, as long as you know only to plug a lamp into it.
The first 2 gang (I assume) socket should be ok for both to be used if in 2.5mm2.
Is the fused spur directly wired or will it take plug tops ?
Just remember :- W/V = A. If (I assume again) all four sockets (2 each) you have do not exceed 20 amps ( I think thats the max for a radial circuit) you should be ok but couldnt you run a second wire back and use a connection box to make it part of your ring main ?

Sponsored Links
the simple answer is do not do it. to day it is a dryer, and a lamp, tomorrow it will be? .............you are alive today.

My late father used to say "there is nothing so pemanent as a temporary job"

I think i'll remove the second spur, you've got me pretty worried now. I am using 2.5mm wire. If i just had 1 spur I could have the dryer and a 40/60 watt lamp in there couldnt I?? I think I'll take the second spur from a different socket but the problem is there are no more close by. Let's just hope my wife hasn't got the dryer and the lamp on while i'm sat here writing this :).
The problem is that I've got the dryer in the kitchen and the lamp in the living room seperated by a couple of pieces of plaster board. Could I have 1 spur with the lamp in and the dryer wired into the back of that or is that really dangerous??

Cheers

Yes very dangerous as dryer no longer has its own fuse, it would probably go up in flames before it blew your main 30amp fuse.

Have double socket on spur in kitchen, drill hole through p/board and pass lamp wire through wall to kitchen, re-attach plug top, you can then un plug lamp and plug in toaster etc when reqd. quite safely.

OR :-

Is your original socket on p/board? If so disconnect one of the original two wires and attach to a junction box (they're not all big round things), connect your spur(s) to same junction box, from second spur run 2.5mm back to original socket and VOILA! They're now part of your ring main and everyone is smiling :D :D :D :D :D

Cheers Mate.

I go for the lamp wire variation. The junction box thing sounds a bit complex for th likes of me.

thanks

No more complicated as adding your double spur, but best of luck.
Is the better half still "sparking"? :LOL:

bigdaz, sorry if you were scared, that was not anyones intention, but the thing with electricity is it has no prejudices, it kills anyone. You have to treat it with respect, but you did the right thing by asking first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back