Can you drive a car if has failed the MOT

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can you drive a car to the MOT centre if it has failed the MOT and the certificate is up, for a re-test. Is this a grey area, is there a loop hole here somewhere.

Sponsored Links
only to a pre-arranged appointment i believe!!!

but still not fully legal

yes you can and its legal........only if you have booked it in prior to taking it their.

already done this in the 1990's booked in accident on route police involved explained reasons as asked to produce police liased with garage adn all was ok.

also worked for hgv fitting company taking 44 ft trailors for mot at vosa sites often without mot on route, was ok as they was booked in prior to travel.

where you shoudl consider legality is what if it fails can you take it back home to repair.....no as it doesnt have nor has it passed rd worthiness test. persons can drive damaged or unroadwrthy vehicle to garage or place of repair provided it is booked in first.
place of repair can be any garage within reasonable distance, you are not allowed to book any further than necessary if you live in london and wanted to drive to leeds and claimed it to be booked in garage at leeds you are breaking the law.
if you live in a town city that has the service availalbe you will be required to take it to the one of them.

hope you understand the law a bit better ;)

What if you have no brakes and kill someone en route?

Sponsored Links
then logic would prevail did it have breaks prior to the mot running out, your best bet joe 90 is ring a garage to have it confirmed rather than dribblin on about brakes.

does anyone know for sure what the definition of a "place of repair" is?

i have driven many cars to various mates places and had cars driven to me on the basis that it was going to a place of repair. it was after all a completely valid use of the term as they were going to be repaired by them/me.

plod would probably see it entirely differently of course. :rolleyes:

i think its as simple as repair and mot centre

as in the same place can complete and issue the mot

their is that but theres duty of care which joe 90 would indicate as brake failure, if breaks was suspectable prior to journy then it could be deemed as illegal as it should be on truck, however if person didnt know breaks failed suddenly on route then that is ok its covered and yor insurance would cover any rta if insured correctly

big-all said:
i think its as simple as repair and mot centre

as in the same place can complete and issue the mot

but thats not what it says is it? there is no mention of an mot centre.

doyle said:
their is that but theres duty of care which joe 90 would indicate as brake failure, if breaks was suspectable prior to journy then it could be deemed as illegal as it should be on truck, however if person didnt know breaks failed suddenly on route then that is ok its covered and yor insurance would cover any rta if insured correctly

if it fails in that manner there is a part of the MOT that categorically says the car should not be driven until repairs have been made.

yes well any car failing would not be allowed until rd worthy, however to get it to the mot station persons are able to drive under the provision of repair and that its booked in, i think joe wanted to say arrr well this that and other no offence meant to him.

if person has reasonable knowlege that their vehicle is unroadworthy by serious defects such as brakes then the ruling could alter to where it needs towing or alternative the garage to collect as they are insured for such instances.

however common logic is that when breaks start to deteriate they should be repaired immediately anyway in which the vehicle should really suffer full failure if you know what i mean.

Sponsored Links
Back