Can you identify this tree ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
DSCI0004a.jpg

Can anyone help me identify this tree, i'ts the one with the pink/cerise blossom. The leaves are a burgundy colour that's now turning dark green.Sorry about the size of the picture,i'm still learning! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I've spent hours trawling the net ( no pun intended ) and i'm still none the wiser, I've narrowed it down to three possible's,
Hawthorn
Malus ( crab-apple )
Prunus (purple leaved plum ) ;)

Sponsored Links
Do i need to spell it out, i've tried the rhs and the result is i'm still looking,why don't you reply to genuine enquiries with a helpfull suggestion sometimes instead of the usual ( why not google ) ****** you come out with?

pitbull said:
Do i need to spell it out, i've tried the rhs and the result is i'm still looking,why don't you reply to genuine enquiries with a helpfull suggestion sometimes instead of the usual ( why not google ) **** you come out with?

simple answer is, i have no idea what you have or have not done or tried, i can only go by what you type, you never actually said you tried the rhs, or google. Some people do not know what google is.

I aso take it that bloke under the tree is the last person who you did not get along with

Looks like an ornamental cherry to me but there are loads of different varieties. If it only blossoms in May/June then it probably is.

I would have guessed Cherry. Another way to identify plants, is go to a nursery & look for similar flowers/leaves etc. Thats how I have sorted my new garden out, I have one that I cant identify, maybe I should put a picture on here. Mmmmm think not. :LOL:

looks like a prunus (cherr tree) to me as well. If you contact the rhs they do a plant identification service, where you can send in a part of the tree, leve sblossom etc and they get their experts to identify it. You may have to be a member to do it, but the subscription is not that much.

Post a picture of a sprig of leaves against a plain background, and a close-up of the trunk bark at a branch junction, it will be easier to identify.

If it's flowering this week, I too reckon an ornamental cherry.

Are you thinking of pruning it?

Send a sample to Kew Gardens, about 3-4 wks for your free identification answer.

breezer said:
pitbull said:
Do i need to spell it out, i've tried the rhs and the result is i'm still looking,why don't you reply to genuine enquiries with a helpfull suggestion sometimes instead of the usual ( why not google ) **** you come out with?

simple answer is, i have no idea what you have or have not done or tried, i can only go by what you type, you never actually said you tried the rhs, or google. Some people do not know what google is.

I aso take it that bloke under the tree is the last person who you did not get along with

Please accept an apology for my childish outburst last night. :oops:
Don't know what came over me. ;)

Could be a Judas tree, they are in bloom at the moment, any chance of a pic of the leaves, if they are fairly rounded then it's a Judas. But it does flower before the leaves emerg(sp?)

Jason

An ornamental hawthorn Will have small leaves, rather looking like a sycamore but much smaller and flowers in "florets".... if its a cherry it will generally have shiny bark either in patches or rings. If its a Malus/ Crab apple it'll have apples on it very soon! If its a Judus tree the flowers are like pea plant flowers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back