Canadian equipment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would appreciate any advice on using Canadian appliances in the UK, particularly TV/video. I'm not even sure of the voltage in Canada so whether I would need an adaptor. Will my TV pick up the UK signal?

Sponsored Links
do not plug your tv directly in you will need a voltage converter, similar for you video, also you can not watch an english video on a canadian vcr as they are in different formats,

i think the hassle it will cause it would be cheaper to get a new tv / video (or rent them)

Canadian mains supply is 110V 60Hz, as USA. The TV will not work with a UK TV signal as we use a different transmission standard here.

In my experience, ex-pats often keep a TV and VCR of their native land with which to watch old tapes and home videos sent over. It might be changing now as modern TVs and multiregion DVD players can play both standards.

To check if other equipment will work, first check the manual to see if there is a voltage selection switch. This will need to be set to 230/240V. Computers (especially laptops) generally have this facility, in fact some automatically switch.

High-powered appliances that cannot work of 230V will be pretty much useless. Voltage convertors are always "rated", that is it will be suitable for use up to a certain power (wattage). Big appliances may exceed this wattage.

Vikki said:
Would appreciate any advice on using Canadian appliances in the UK, particularly TV/video. I'm not even sure of the voltage in Canada so whether I would need an adaptor. Will my TV pick up the UK signal?

Vikki, as Adam has pointed out you have 120V 60 Hz in Canada, same as the US, so your equipment is designed for use on this supply.

It is possible to buy transformers that will convert the supply to this, at least the voltage anyway, many hotels in London have them, however the cost of buying one would actually mean it is cheaper to replace the equipment.

The VCR will have a specific problem, all motors are rated according to voltage but also to the supply frequency, the small AC motors in many modern videos will operate at 60Hz in your case, and would thus run slower in the UK even with a transformer in place.

Adam also has a point over the TV transmission, the system in Canada and the US is incompatible, without expensive electronics, from that used in Europe.

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
FWL, why will a simple "no" never do for you?

Why do you feel people do not need an explanation and justification of the reason?

And why do you seem to post assenine comments like that on a regular basis.??

FWL_Engineer said:
Why do you feel people do not need an explanation and justification of the reason?

I never said that, on the contary i think its nice that you do, its just that some times a yes or no is a better answer, and your answers are often so long winded

Perhaps start with a big YES or NO and then go into an explanation?

I like the long-winded. A simple yes or no doesn't always inspire confidence, good to hear terms such as "flange spigot" and "modulating offset". :D

Hi,

Keep on communicating FWL .... No problem !!

Good to read ....... I am sure there is a book lurking somewhere in all this knowledge ... Would be better than some of the old guff from the odd college lecturer looking to make a quid on the side !!

Real problems and their solutions, within the regs !!

P.

some advice

i used to have a neibour who came from the usa she used small plug in voltage converters at first but had a number of them fail destroying valuable equipment

then she got a site transformer (we use 110v on construction sites in the uk) cut the plug of a us power strip put on a cee plug to fit the transformer and never had a issue again

My word, now THAT is lateral thinking!

OK, so those transformers aren't the most ergonomic thing in the world, but you know such a transformer HAS to be reliable and is rated quite high compared to the plug in adaptors. And what do they cost? About £50 for a 3kW transformer compared to £15 for a 30W transformer.

Smart thinking.

iirc the 3KW is tool rating and a 3kw tool rating transformer has a 2kw continous rating (tool use is expected to be intermittant)

plugwash said:
(we use 110v on construction sites in the uk)

Can someone explain ( in terms suitable for an ageing, faded brain) why we do use 110v on sites but 240v in domestic situations?
I have a friend living in Florida who makes regular trips back here and has said he will bring any tool I want ( I was looking for a router, Dewalt, at the time and they were half the price over there)
Would I be better off going to 110v using a transformer or sticking with 230v?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Back