cannot open Upvc door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've had a bit of a disaster with a upvc door and am completely stumped.
The locking handle will not turn and therefore the door will not open. The lock locks and unlocks with the key quite freely so it's not causing my problem.
I've looked at removing the hinge pins to try and lift the door out of the frame but that's impossible because as the door is closed the grub screws securing the pins are inaccessible. Major problem I know but any pointers would be welcome.

Sponsored Links
if you take the handles off you should be able to see the lock mechinism, depending on type you may be able to see some sliders which operate when you move the handle. you might be able to move these with a screwdriver to see if it will move the mechanism. if not only other thing i can think of is go buy some new hinges and cut through your old ones, but you'll still probably need a new mechanism, if it is a mila or saracen i might be able to help you out ;)

Have you tried a little force on the handle? The mechanisms can occasionaly seize-up, requiring a bit more pressure than usual. If not, then you'll need to prise the door away from the frame and manually move the mechanism. This is best left to someone who's done it before, otherwise you may bugger the door/frame.

Sponsored Links
Hi all, Thanks for the replies.
Handy Hands tip has proved to be the answer to my problems. I actually ended seeking some advice of a friend who has had some training as a locksmith. In essence I drilled the lock barrel and made some room in the door. Early findings indicated a broken locking mechanism. We then resorted
to a little controlled force on the handle and the door popped open!!!
After that it was simply a matter of obtaining a suitable GU spare from Express fixings at Oldbury and replacing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back