Can't bleed radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
two of the radiators in my house seem to be un-bleedable?? the screws are facing the wall, making them awkward to get to, but no matter what key i use, nothing seems to fit it. Situation is getting quite bad now with about 1/3 radiator heating up.

I've had no problem bleeding the others. I've lived here for under 18 months and the house was new when i moved in. The two radiators in question were always a bit cold, but i've only tried bleeding them in recent months (laziness).

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I've lived here for under 18 months and the house was new when i moved in.
Aren't you covered by some sort of builders guarantee? Probably paint blocking the air vent recess - you might be able to pick it out with a pin or something.

Builders guarantee? Possibly. I'll see if i can find a number for them and check it out.

I don't know if paint is the problem, i haven't painted the radiators (again, laziness). It's almost like the screw is too small for the keys. It just doesn't grip the screw. If the radiator was warmer at the top, the metal would probably expand and might fit it. Vicious circle.

I asked my cousin (a plumber) who recommended getting new radiators!! I then asked my brother-in-law (not a plumber) who said i could install my own tap by drilling into it??

that happened to 2 of mine so in the end i had to take the rads off the wall and carefully drill out the bleed screws and replace

Sponsored Links
How much of a job would that be? Would i have to ask a plumber to do it? Or someone very handy?

sorry but i dont know how competent you are ! but if you have never done any DIY plumbing eg changing rads pump etc then you may need help cheers P M

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back