cant download any clips!

Rob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
all of a sudden laptop wont allow anydownloads of video clips. try to save as and it just dissapears. youtube still ok though.

automatically loading to realplayer takes maybe 5 mins for 1minute clips.

Also could some one explain how i ckeck the memory available and whats stored on which drives.

windows xp btw on toshiba laptop

thanks

Sponsored Links
all of a sudden laptop wont allow anydownloads of video clips. try to save as and it just dissapears. youtube still ok though.

Are you saying you do have the option to 'Save As' but can't find the video clips once downloaded ?

I assume your using Internet Explorer as your browser ?

Also could some one explain how i ckeck the memory available and what's stored on which drives.

The 'Performance' tab in Windows Task Manager (right click in empty area of Taskbar) will show memory stats.

You can see what is installed on what drives using Windows Explorer or by hovering over the icon in the Programs folder of the Start Menu.

If this is a bit too advanced for you to piece together where everything is then try Belarc Advisor. http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

I guess other utilities will be available if you search on google.

no i can click the save as option then closes as it should but doesnt produce the download window- makes no difference where i try and save it either

Using Mozilla firefox as IE7 would just re-direct everytime i tried a search, to adverts. Another problem :rolleyes:

checked the physical memory total: 514096 available:95516

Not much really is it?

will look into the drive checking thing. lol

thanks for help wanleg

Sounds like your IE has been compromised.

When downloading have you searched for the file name on the hard disk when the windows doesn't appear. Check the "Downloads" section in the "Main" tab in "Tools", "Options" menu to see if you have elected to not show the downloads window.

If the above shows nothing have you tried to uninstall and reinstall Firefox ?

Your right the memory isn't much....sounds to me like your PC is crammed full of spyware, ads and possibly viruses....which anti virus package do you have ? and is it up to date with updates ?

Also what are you using for a firewall ?

Sponsored Links
Running McAfee security, and as far as im aware updates regulary. For the time being ive created an extra user account and its a little better.

Although not completely happy. Thinkin i may just restore factory settings as ive still got all the cd's from programs ive previously installed, how much would this affect my wireless router.

thanks
rob

how do i check my firewall..sorry im not the best on comps.

If you have a wireless router then this will probably have a firewall built in.

If your talking about a full system wipe and reload then that doesn't sound like a bad idea from what you've told me. Just make sure you have all the CD's you needs as some manufacturers .e.g Dell charge extra for the operating system CD.

A reload won't affect your wireless router at all but you will need to reconfigure your laptops wireless settings to talk to your router after the reload.

Back