Can't raise pressure!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I've got a Potterton Lynx 2. Low pressure light is on. Gauge reads 1 bar. I've got 1 red, 1 blue tap underneath. Also black tap on filling loop. Have tried them all in various combinations, and the pressure does not rise. There is no sound of water in pipes or loop.
What am I doing wrong, or does this signify a particular problem?

Thanks for any advice- I am very cold and smelly now.

Steve

Sponsored Links
make sure the black handle is actually turning the valve they have a habit of breaking
if you can get it off you can turn the spindle with a spanner ;)

Thanks a lot for that- I've unscewed the loop fitting and turned the tap and water comes out at pressure- just doesn't seem to go into the boiler! Where should the red and blue taps be set for normal operation? I've tried them together and singly in all positions and nothing seems to work.
What are the possible problems I might be facing here? I admit i can't work it out at all.

Steve

Right!

I've been told to take one of the wires off the pressure switch, which I did, and the boiler fires up fine. I can now also hear water going through the filling loop.

BUT.

The pressure gauge still doesn't go up. In which position should the blue and red taps be left? Turned clockwise, or antclockwise so they are level with the pipes?

Also I've been told to just wrap the disconnected wire from the pressure switch in duct tape and leave it. Is this wise?

Thank you very much for any help! I would much rather get in a pro, but I'm so skint it's not funny.

Steve

Sponsored Links
ONE LAST THING!-

The boiler is working, so I just need to know which position to leave the taps turned. The red and blue taps at the bottom of the boiler I have left turned all the way anti-clockwise so they run level with the pipes (12 o'clock to 6 o'clock).
The black tap on the filling loop- this should be left turned all the way clockwise or turned the other way so it runs level to the flexible silver loop pipe (12 o'clock to 6 o'clock, as with the red and blue taps)? The gauge still isn't rising, so I'm not sure.

Can you tell I'm an amateur?

Thanks

Steve

Red and blue valves should be in the open position. See which pipe (red or blue) the filling loop is attached to and open the loop allowing water in. If nothing happening turn the valve until you see pressure rising.
When you have worked out which way is open then make sure both R&B are in the open position.
Consult your boiler manual for correct system pressure. Shouldn't be much over 1 bar. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back