can't remove key when locked - upvc door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got the above problem, door locks fine except that the key doesn't manage to make it the vertical position so i can remove it! Opens etc fine and can remove it no problems when unlocked. Any hints appreciated!

Sponsored Links
does the lock work ok when the door is open? if so there is an alignment problem. sometimes it only takes a fraction to stop the lock engaging properly and stopping the key to turn fully.

not applicable on eurolocks
but if you have a yale style "double lock" and its half a turn out it wont operate in the correct position
if that happens you need to remove the lock and rotate the slot half a turn

Sponsored Links
if you have a normal 'euro lock' (most upvc doors do)
open the door, on the edge just below the lock barrel you will see a screw undo this then you can slide the lock out, but the key must be in and in a certain position so just push the lock and wriggle the key until it comes out.

now you will have the lock in your hand and can check it works -if it does the problem is in the door, if it doesnt oil it, or buy a new one (there not expensive)

to buy a new one you need to check the size of yours, measure from the screw hole to both sides (as the holes are often not central) (common sizes are 35,40,50,55mm etc per side, mine are 35mm one side 45mm the other). if you have a upvc backdoor it might be worth buying a pair of 'keyed alike' locks so its the same key for them both.

if your lock currently isnt flush at the front (ie it sticks out) take the amount it sticks out by off, they used to make them stick out but dont anymore -its ugly and its easier to break in.

edit: here is a picture that explains what i said a lot better!

The problem is with your euro cylinder. This is a common problem, and it's the central cam that has slipped from it's normal position of 7 o'clock (or 5 o'clock depending on which way you view it). With the cylinder removed (as described above), take the key out and observe where the cam is (the black bit in the middle that rotates around). I'd hazard a guess that it's about about 11 o'clock (or 1 o'clock), and this is the reason the key will not retrun to it's usual 6 o'clock position to remove it.

Remedy - buy a new one (follow guide above), and make sure it's fitted as near to flush as possible on the outside.

Having had problems locking / unlocking my upvc front door over quite a lengthy period I found after stripping the locking system that the machine screws which hold the lock and catch boxes together had worked loose. Tightening these [with a drop of loctite just to make sure] has - touch wood - solved the problem...........

it was the euro cylinder that was knackered. not sure if it was a pin/plate that had dropped inside but wouldn't move. Bought some new ones from ebay and no probs since ;)

Just for the record, I had the same problem today, although the other way around; I could lock the door and take my key out, but if I unlocked the door, I couldn't take the key out.

The resolution was the same; get a new euro cylinder. Having never dealt with locks on doors etc, I figured it was going to be complicated, but the advice here was spot on; I removed the screw holding in the cylinder, removed the cylinder, put the new one in and put the holding screw back in.

Simple when you know how, but I didn't know how until I read this thread, so thanks, you saved me £100 by not having to get a key... locking... dude... (locksmith?).

Cheers.

The reason a barrell/euro cylinder falls out of sync is usually because somebody has tried to unlike the door from one side while the key is still in the other side,most common on front doors that open as a back door ie anybody can open the door from either side unless locked.

I had the same problem today, although the other way around; I could lock the door and take my key out, but if I unlocked the door, I couldn't take the key out. I bought a new eurocylinder but still have the same problem the key will not turn enough to get it out

The problem is with your euro cylinder. This is a common problem, and it's the central cam that has slipped from it's normal position of 7 o'clock (or 5 o'clock depending on which way you view it). With the cylinder removed (as described above), take the key out and observe where the cam is (the black bit in the middle that rotates around). I'd hazard a guess that it's about about 11 o'clock (or 1 o'clock), and this is the reason the key will not retrun to it's usual 6 o'clock position to remove it.

Remedy - buy a new one (follow guide above), and make sure it's fitted as near to flush as possible on the outside.

Just to say thanks for this info, and add a little of my experience. Yesterday my wife tried to lock our UPVC door from the outside while there was still a key in the lock on the inside. She managed, but commented later that she did have to force it a bit!

This left us with the same problem others have mentioned, in that we now couldn't get the key out of the lock with the door unlocked. Anyway, I'd took out the euro cylinder and right enough, with the key at 12 o'clock, the cam was more at 11 o'clock rather than your suggested 5 or 7 o'clock.

I was prepared to go out and buy a new cylinder, but though I might try reversing what had caused the problem, so I discovered that with both keys in the cylinder, I could force one side to rotate (it was just stiff, it didn't need a huge amount of force) without the cam moving. So about 1/4 turn anti-clockwise I took out the key I wasn't forcing (it was still in the 12 o'clock position and so could be removed), then when I returned the side I was forcing back to 12 o'clock, the cam was now at 7 o'clock, and everything seemed fine.

I gave it a couple of test turn from both sides and the cam seem to behave as expected, so reinstalled the cylinder, and my door lock is working again, and now I can remove the key from either side, with the door locked or unlocked.

Hopefully this might help someone else, though I could well believe it will be safer to got and get a new cylinder, but this will tide us over until I do.

Cheers,

Neil

Just a quick thanks to everyone on here - I hadn't had reason to ever look behind the curtain of how door locks work before, but ours had exactly the problem described here so I had a nose around. Your advice was spot on, and managed to fix the cylinder rather than replace - brilliant. Thanks everyone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back