Capping off a soil stack boss, 32mm waste pipe.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently refitting my bathroom. In order to cure the manky unlevel untrue walls I have lined them with cement board.

In one corner of the room is the vertical soil stack, boxed in. Into this is connected the WC, the bath, and the sink. Each with it's own connection into the stack.

Now, the 32mm waste pipe for the sink emerges from the stack too close to the wall to allow me to board or even tile behind it. Thus I wish to cap the 32mm connection into the stack and create a new 40mm connection.

How do I cap off this 32mm connection without introducing a dead-leg? Is there some kind of boss that straps around the stack and seals the hole?

How near can I install a new boss above the old capped-off one? I am not using the type that is inserted into the stack, I am planning to use the strap-on then drill a hole through the template type.

Sponsored Links
No matter, problem solved now. I bought a capped spiggot and a pushfit boss adaptor. So I should be able to just push the cap into the old one and install the new boss directly above.

Its preferred practice to use manifolds than bosses but at least its all sorted now!

Sponsored Links
Is a manifold where you cut out a length of the stack and insert a piece with the outlets moulded into it? What do you use to cut it? How do you avoid getting yourself and your tools covered in *ahem* soil?

Well, after buying the bits and getting them home I discovered my soil stack was not accessible without a lot of work: boxed in with thick ply, then plasterboard, then skimmed.

So I concluded "bu**er this for a game of soldiers" and decided that the position of the 32mm waste connector was just fine.

I realise that boxing in soil stacks makes them more aesthetic and vandal proof, but anyone who wants to vandalise a soil stack is going to get covered in human excrement anyway so that is punishment enough! Would have been a lot easier if mine was on the side of the building.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back