Cats and foxes

Joined
4 Jan 2007
Messages
59
Reaction score
2
Location
Buckinghamshire
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently planted a new flower bed and put down some bark chip on the top but i am still gettting lots of holes and pooh from some animals any suggestions on how to stop these animals from straying on to my flower bed?
 
Sponsored Links
2

2scoops0406

Get a cat! They usually don't cr*p in their own garden. Failing that you can get stuff you put down, I don't think it's terribly effective. Alternatives

Orange peel is said to deter cats again, I don't reckon this would be very effective.

Grow prickly plants aminals don't like it up 'em.

Get a gun!
 
Joined
15 Nov 2005
Messages
77,458
Reaction score
4,840
Location
Crossgates, Europe
Country
Cook Islands
I'm told most animals avoid the scent of large male carnivores.

That's you.

Bury bits of unwashed sweaty vest, and wee on the flowerbed.
 
Joined
21 Oct 2004
Messages
9,979
Reaction score
188
Location
Sussex
Country
United Kingdom
the sonic ones work quite well. You can pick them up for about £25, but they can be heard by teenagers as well!
 
Joined
20 Jan 2007
Messages
5,820
Reaction score
350
Location
Cornwall
Country
United Kingdom
Thermo said:
the sonic ones work quite well. You can pick them up for about £25, but they can be heard by teenagers as well!

Well that,s a bonus then................... :LOL:
 
Joined
21 Oct 2004
Messages
9,979
Reaction score
188
Location
Sussex
Country
United Kingdom
absolutley true. We were working on a job a few weeks ago where the next door neighbour had one. my teenage apprentice could hear it and it drove him nuts. I know there is a device that shops can install and the police use to deter youths congregating. They have a higher sensitivity to high pitched noises.

Shame we worked there for a week! :LOL:
 
Joined
11 Aug 2006
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Country
United Kingdom
I've found Get Off My Garden Scatter Crystals (Vapet) very effective, i'd reccomend getting a few bottles and putting fresh crystals down every few weeks.
 
Sponsored Links
Joined
20 Jan 2007
Messages
5,820
Reaction score
350
Location
Cornwall
Country
United Kingdom
Yes get your self a cat...

badpets18xt0.jpg


That should sort it................ :LOL:
 
Joined
18 Apr 2006
Messages
361
Reaction score
8
Location
Cambridgeshire
Country
United Kingdom
I picked up 2 sonic scarers for £30 on ebay (£9.99 each plus postage).
They've made a big difference. I wouldn't pay the DIY store prices.
I think they're totally environmentally unfriendly and should only be bought if you've a real problem.

I've already posted my petition on here but here goes again:
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/BanRoamingPets/

Another problem is that the animal welfare bill that came in was supposed to bring in codes of conduct that said cat owners should keep their cats in at night. These have been delayed which is bizarre as the MPs have basically voted on a law when its not been decided what most of the law is going to be.
 
2

2scoops0406

JamesA said:
Another problem is that the animal welfare bill that came in was supposed to bring in codes of conduct that said cat owners should keep their cats in at night.
It's been coupled with the noise abatement bill that prohibts birds from singing before 7 a.m coupled with the giving powers to the police to serve ASBO's on birds that s**t on cars :LOL:
 
Joined
18 Apr 2006
Messages
361
Reaction score
8
Location
Cambridgeshire
Country
United Kingdom
Eddie M said:
It's been coupled with the noise abatement bill that prohibts birds from singing before 7 a.m coupled with the giving powers to the police to serve ASBO's on birds that s**t on cars :LOL:
:) Well crafted.
Frankly, I know loads of people who think it is a real problem though.

Eddie M said:
They usually don't cr*p in their own garden.
Thats the problem, a lot of cat owners don't actually realise this and still believe the myth that cats are clean animals and bury it all.
I was talking to a cat owner who insisted that cats don't poo in peoples gardens.
I offered to give him the 200/300 pieces of evidence from the last 2 years, but he wasn't interested :)

goodmow, the other thing is to make sure you remove it on the day it appears. If there's any there, other animals will add theirs to cover the scent with their own.
Either throw it over next door (if your 100% sure its them!) or I wrap it in newspaper and bury it in a hole.

I got the sonic scarers as a last resort after all the other things failed.
 
Joined
23 Feb 2005
Messages
6,871
Reaction score
402
Location
Surrey
Country
United Kingdom
JamesA said:
I've already posted my petition on here but here goes again:
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/BanRoamingPets/

Another problem is that the animal welfare bill that came in was supposed to bring in codes of conduct that said cat owners should keep their cats in at night. These have been delayed which is bizarre as the MPs have basically voted on a law when its not been decided what most of the law is going to be.

Are you a Daily Mail reader by any chance? :rolleyes:
 
Joined
15 Nov 2005
Messages
77,458
Reaction score
4,840
Location
Crossgates, Europe
Country
Cook Islands
"Submitted by James Agnini – Deadline to sign up by: 12 May 2007 – Signatures: 53"

Looks like a no-hoper to me.
 

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.


Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

 
Sponsored Links
Top