Ceiling Damp Patch.....who pays for it



I stay in a flat built in the 1900s.I have full contents/ building insurance (£100 excess )and have just discovered a damp patch on a ceiling which was the result of a washing machine/ dishwasher leak from the above flat.
My point is who pays for the replastering /repainting of the damage...is it my insurance or is it the flat above ? it seems as if the owners above dont appear to give a damn about the damage caused and although they have remeded the leak im left with an unsightly stain on the fabric of what was a fully renovated flat.I have contacted my own insurance company who tell me that i will have to fork out £100 before any repairs will be undertaken...seems as if they are trying to fob me off. i also have legal cover as part of the insurance..seems as if it wasn't worth the paper it was written on
Sponsored Links
21 Jan 2007
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Well if you claim on your insurance then you'll obviously have to pay your excess.

Have they (your insurance company) said whether they'll do it or not?

Have your neighbours even got insurance?

Have you actually spoken to your legal aid 'support'?

What have your neighbours said?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links