Ceiling height regulations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want to replace my fink roof trusses (7.5 mtr span) with traditional joists and supporting RSJ's. I also want to put the new joists at a lower height, to get more headroom in my new loft storage area.

Does anyone know if I am allowed to lower my first floor ceiling height by 9"? At the moment the height is at 8ft.

Sponsored Links
I am not completely certain about the upstairs rooms but in the cellars and basements I have converted I aim to get a minimum headroom of 2.1 meters but I also know that any route that can be classed as an escape route (excluding doorways) has to have a clear headroom of at least 2 meters. I don't know if that construes that crossing a room to leave it is an escape route though. In either case you should still be ok as you are aiming for a ceiling height of around 2.2 meters. You will also need to take into account that any changing of roof structure will also alter the loading of the building ( the weight supported by the external walls ) so I strongly suggest having all the relevant plans and permits drawn up. Hope this helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back