Ceiling lamp wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought some small ceiling lamps which have 2 wires (blue and brown). The wires from the ceiling have 3 wires, presumably to connect the Earth. Do I just leave the Earth wire (yellow/green) unconnected (leave it in the ceiling cavity)?

Sponsored Links
Put a piece of choc-block on the end so that it can't accidentally touch anything. But don't cut it back, in case it is needed for a different fitting in the future which does need an earth....

Many thanks. Fortunately this is a new building and all choc blocks are already on and the cavity is quite deep to store the earth wire. Thanks again, I now feel confident to do this myself.

On tackling my ceiling light I mistakenly mentioned the colour of the wires. The light fitting has a blue and blue/brown wire. The ceiling green/yellow (earth I presume), 2 blue wires together and a green and pink wire together.

I am correct in connecting both blue to the blue, and the green and pink wires to the blue/brown?

Sponsored Links
One of these days I'll think to check the location of someone before posting a reply....

But then you were just as careless in your choice of forum to post in, so we'll call it a draw ;)

No idea about Swiss colours, or wiring systems, or indeed if the Swiss regulations let you do any of this.

I'll ask the mods to move the topic.

Back