Ceiling Light-No earth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When fixing a ceiling light I discovered the metal light fitting had an earth but only a live and neutral from the ceiling.
Is there any easy way to provide an earth to ensure the fitting will be safe?

Sponsored Links
No earth on the lights = means wiring is dated before the mid Sixties...

If your wiring is that old, it will certainly be safer to rip it out and rewire it in its entirety, older cable is likely to start decaying etc.

One way to check, open up a lightswitch, and if the cable has three strands in it, it is obsolete (3/.029) imperial cable, as such cable has been out of production for many decades now - this means your wiring is in a :( dangerous condition - and you should get a NICEIC electrician to replace it.

I would disagree it may be the person fitting it cut it off as they didnt know what to do with it.

have a look in the ceiling rose / light connection and see if there is an earth there

As breezer said.....the "older" generation of sparks didn't connect up the earths at the time.....as it wasn't a requirement at the time......But would recommend that up get the NICEIC company to carry out an inspection and test if you feel it is not safe.

Sponsored Links
yet again the same advice word for word, an what is your obsession with the nic MB?

AR

supersparks said:
yet again the same advice word for word, an what is your obsession with the nic MB?

AR
I wonder that too - he can't be a member himself, so I've no idea.

Hello folks

Discovered same problem. Old house with no earth cable in some circuits. All modern metal fittings require earth. Have already decorated walls so regretting not rewiring beforehand.

How much does it cost to get house rewired? Small 2 bed mid terrace.

Cheers

crafty1289 says it all. This post was started in 2003

sheeraz1, please read the forum rules, you will find you just broke at least 2 of them.
1. resurrecting old post
2. asking for prices (think this is still not allowed). there are many many variables when rewiring a house. merely telling us you have 2 bedrooms doesn't help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back