Ceiling rose with unusual wiring (well to me!)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacing the ceiling rose in my hall, but the existing wiring seems a bit odd!

There is nothing connected to the Neutral terminal block.
The blue flex wire is connected to the middle block alongwith 2 black wires.
The brown flex wire is connected to the Live end block alongwith 1 red wire (which I'm assuming is the switch).
The 3 earth wires all go to the earth terminal.
There are 3 red wires which are just taped up and not connected to anything?

Should I replicate this with the new rose or connect the wires as would be expected, i.e. putting the blue and black wires in the neutral block and the 3 red wires in the central block?

Sponsored Links
you know what they say, if it aint broke dont fix it (or fix it till it is)

assuming the current rose i broken / damgaed then change it, but as you put it, replicate it.

I suggest you take a pic of it (for your onw referance) and lable all cores with a pen and also note what goes where.

it sounds normal to me. and if you did as you did suggest you would be changing it, since it works as it is why change it (the wiring configuration, i mean)

if you want have a look in the wiki or sticky you will find its done right

Yes, the taped up wires go in the central Loop In section (but only if they are currently all connected together, you don't say). The blacks and blue go in the N section, the brown and single red in the L section and all earths to the earth terminal.

Assuming that the three reds

There are 3 red wires which are just taped up and not connected to anything?

are connected to each other then what you suggest is correct.

These three reds into the middle 3 way block ( which is intended for them ) The two blacks and the blue flexible into the end 3 way and the red switched live and brown flexible in the end 2 way.

Exactly as shown in the WIKI.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back