Cellar damp proofing/painting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been reading around about cellar damp proofing. Just moved into house with 2 room cellar. It seems pretty dry but all the walls are bare brick with mouldy/crumbly paint that looks like its been there for some time.

I want to tidy things up and hopefully improve the area for use as a bar/games room.

I can't really find major evidence of damp, although it looks like there has been some in the past. One corner of the concrete floor looks like it may be a problem as there is a 'new' patch of concrete that appears a bit damp (perhaps missing any plastic membrane). I have a dehumidifier running that takes about 1 litre of water out a day, but I cant really tell where its getting it from.

My question is this; Is it ok just to scrape the walls and re-paint with a waterproof cellar paint that will hopefully keep the water on the other side?? My concern is that trapping the water in the bricks may damage them in some way.

Is it also ok to do the same with the floor? Just paint all the concrete with some water resistant paint and carpet over it?

I realise I should be looking at battens and platerboard all around the walls, but would prefer just to paint them for now.

Any advice? Will I be damaging the bricks assuming I can keep the moisture out of the cellar?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
1) Try and establish where the damp is coming from and deal with the damp first

a) Is there raising damp
b) Is the damp coming in through the side walls - What drainage systems are there outside
c) Is the damp coming down from the ground floor exterior surface walls
d) Is a road or garden draining into it

Once you have established where the water is entering then you may have an idea how much work it will take.

The majority of cellars are not economically viable to convert.

You probably have to spend more on outside drainage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back